Google WiFi pucks behind Asus router?

JALCO

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks to the generous information contributors here, I'm making slow, but steady progress on installing my system. I'm working on updating my home network now. I have some cameras to test, but won't plug them in until my network is right.

I've installed an Asus AC86U, configured it based on recommendations from @nayr and others, and successfully created an OpenVPN connection to my iPhone. So far, so good.

Here's my question: I was previously running a Google WiFi network - 4 pucks with mesh coverage, which I'd really like to keep. Can I *safely* use the Asus router to create one network into which I'd connect the cameras and my computer, and use the Google WiFi network as a separate wireless network to which I'd connect other (wireless) devices, like the kids laptops and AppleTV, etc. I know this works and I understand that I may run into double NAT issues, but is it secure?

Or should I move everything to the Asus connection (wired and wireless devices) and consider a 2nd Asus router for AIMesh, ditching the Google pucks altogether?

Thanks in advance,

-J

dvand

n3wb
Reaction score
Doesn't sound insecure to me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you want turn off the radios in the asus router, this will disable wifi.
The asus router will sometime conflict with the google wifi puck depending on the channels selected. on 2.4 and 5.0 ghz.

The cameras should all be had wired into the network, Do not use wifi for cameras.
I would connect one Google puck to the asus router. Connect a switch to the asus router. everthing else to the switch

icecoffee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The asus router will sometime conflict with the google wifi puck depending on the channels selected. on 2.4 and 5.0 ghz.

The cameras should all be had wired into the network, Do not use wifi for cameras.
I would connect one Google puck to the asus router. Connect a switch to the asus router. everthing else to the switch
Doing this way, would the OP able to view the camera from device connect to his Google Wifi puck?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JALCO

n3wb
Reaction score

Thanks, SouthernYankee. Let me confirm that I'm understanding you correctly.

Asus router: Ethernet only, with everything that doesn't require a wireless connection connected to it, including NVR, network printers, other computers, etc. If I need more ports, then I add a switch to this router.

Google mesh: Only to be used by wireless clients where Ethernet isn't an option.

Are there any additional practical steps that should (or must) be taken to further secure the wired network from the wireless?

Thanks,

-J