Gov’t BAN of Dahua, HiKvision Cams(!) What does this mean for US?

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Perhaps you are right on that. I wonder what it will mean with regard to the availability of these cams, their prices etc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are right on that. I wonder what it will mean with regard to the availability of these cams, their prices etc.
It will mean nothing. The ban does not affect availability - most folks here buy international models, and slightly lower demand can only decrease prices.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Most members here on the forum are smarter than what the government hires. We can do a better job than government contractors. We don't care whether or not the cameras come from China (however, if a war ever stirs up between China and the world, well...that's a different story :lmao:). There's always a solution. Most parts are manufactured in the Indo-Pacific region. Why would you spend thousands for something in reality that costs significantly less. If you know a bit about networking, you should be all good to go.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are the bans truly for security concerns or is this to also cripple China's two big surveillance manufacturers and intern the Chinese government?

The Chinese government heavily uses surveillance. Banning them will put some economic strain but there's plenty of ways around that.
Cameras truly spying on people may decrease [link to above statement]. The people who don't secure their networks are the ones who buy big box store kits.
I also don't suspect it will slow down China's surveillance AI advancements.

Am I scared of using Chinese cameras? NO. They're cheap and can be crippled of sending data if blocked by reliable networking gear.
- You should be more scared of Chinese phones spying on personal data than a camera watching your driveway.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Imagine sitting on the toilet, a camera pointed up your genitalia (for your doctor to see via telemedicine), then you find your genitalia listed on some underground website :facepalm:

On a more serious note, I welcome surveillance, as long as it is being used in the interest of public safety and not for wrong intentions. Cameras are so cheap these days, they should be implemented everywhere; there's no reason why we should have to beg local officials to put them up, especially on problem intersections where speeding is a concern. When I went to the UK a few years back, I didn't think even once about the cameras pointed straight at me on Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus. As long as officers aren't zooming their varifocals on my a$$, I'm cool with it.

Are the bans truly for security concerns or is this to also cripple China's two big surveillance manufacturers and intern the Chinese government?

The Chinese government heavily uses surveillance. Banning them will put some economic strain but there's plenty of ways around that.
Cameras truly spying on people may decrease [link to above statement]. The people who don't secure their networks are the ones who buy big box store kits.
I also don't suspect it will slow down China's surveillance AI advancements.

Am I scared of using Chinese cameras? NO. They're cheap and can be crippled of sending data if blocked by reliable networking gear.
- You should be more scared of Chinese phones spying on personal data than a camera watching your driveway.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Imagine sitting on the toilet, a camera pointed up your genitalia (for your doctor to see via telemedicine), then you find your genitalia listed on some underground website :facepalm:

On a more serious note, I welcome surveillance, as long as it is being used in the interest of public safety and not for wrong intentions. Cameras are so cheap these days, they should be implemented everywhere; there's no reason why we should have to beg local officials to put them up, especially on problem intersections where speeding is a concern. When I went to the UK a few years back, I didn't think even once about the cameras pointed straight at me on Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus. As long as officers aren't zooming their varifocals on my a$$, I'm cool with it.
I sure hope your wish does not come true. Your citizen points may be in jeopardy. They spotted you leaving your house too many times today, very unusual, we'll have to investigate.;)

Reaction score
As long as officers aren't zooming their varifocals on my a$$, I'm cool with it.
Butt you would never know if they were.

So here is a thought. IF they were zeroing in on your butt, that would be wrong? And that would make you feel how? Angry? However, if you do not know about it, does that make a difference? Does that change the situation? Is it no longer wrong? No harm, no foul?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This--> if you do not know about it, does that make a difference? As long you're not doing anything wrong, doesn't make a difference. The only folks that should be scared are those that are committed to foul play

Butt you would never know if they were.

So here is a thought. IF they were zeroing in on your butt, that would be wrong? And that would make you feel how? Angry? However, if you do not know about it, does that make a difference? Does that change the situation? Is it no longer wrong? No harm, no foul?

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Foul play in who's eyes?
That's it....
I believe and want privacy, not fallin' for the "if not doing anything wrong" bullshit.
We are free and private citizens. but it is eroding away fast.. remember when your social security number was private, and only entered on tax forms and very little else.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope your wish does not come true. Your citizen points may be in jeopardy. They spotted you leaving your house too many times today, very unusual, we'll have to investigate.;)
LOL. Humor aside, it is very true. This is a slippery slope. Perhaps right now we're okay, but imagine a future in which every person can be tracked wherever they go and everything they say is recorded and analyzed. Sure, there would be benefits. Crime would be reduced. Lost people could be more easily found. But once we've built that system, the next thing you know, they are rounding you up and taking you away for raising the question that maybe the government has too much power.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The future is here already, bp. We all carry a cell phone everywhere we go and that can be easily tracked and is already. Supposedly, it's just the metadata and doesn't include the user ID, but I often wonder about that.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Triangulation works even when GPS is switched off in your phone ;) After reading the last few comments, I do agree that people need their breathing room as well as breathing rights.

The future is here already, bp. We all carry a cell phone everywhere we go and that can be easily tracked and is already. Supposedly, it's just the metadata and doesn't include the user ID, but I often wonder about that.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just means they aren't approved for government use probably. Doubt it will ever affect us. Most of us are smart enough to disable the P2P features and use a VPN.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It means that US consumers will simply buy more Dahua and Hikvision units for non-governmental use due to increased availability of stock ;) Its all futile because we all work for the government anyway, just sayin'