GPU for encoding/decoding

Reaction score
I am trying to budget for a GPU to give the CPU on my server a bit of a break. Can someone recommend one that doesn't break the bank?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time DeepStack was introduced, many here had their system become unstable with GPU hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack). Some have also been fine.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using hardware acceleration.

You now only would use a graphics card if you are using Deepstack and use the GPU to process the DeepStack to improve processing time over the DeepStack CPU version, but do not use it for hardware acceleration within BI.

Reaction score
That's a very good bit of information, thanks!
Is there something else I should be looking to do to optimize? I would love to be able to utilize 265, but with 16 cameras, my CPU is already holding steady at about 60% at 264

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what cpu you have but that is way too high in all likelihood.

You need to run substreams.. H265 isn't needed.

Do every optimization in the wiki: