GPU load with intel quick sync

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
guys - I have 8 2MP cameras at 15fps and GPU load in performance shows only 20% - is that normal? I would have thought it'll be much bigger

Also do folks go with the default h264 or change to h265 which is supposedly more efficient?

Thx

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
guys - I have 8 2MP cameras at 15fps and GPU load in performance shows only 20% - is that normal? I would have thought it'll be much bigger

Also do folks go with the default h264 or change to h265 which is supposedly more efficient?

Thx
That is normal. h265 will use about half the storage space, but requires more processing power. Try it and see for yourself. You need an intel 6th gen+ for h265.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have a 6th gen i5-6500 but if you tell me if it'll require more processing power, that's scarce for me as I run this thing off my primary computer. I'm ok with using extra storage. Thanks! I validated BI is using about 20% by watching the GPU numbers in the GPU-Z utility too and when I turned off the BI service, it dropped down to 1%

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have a 6th gen i5-6500 but if you tell me if it'll require more processing power, that's scarce for me as I run this thing off my primary computer. I'm ok with using extra storage. Thanks! I validated BI is using about 20% by watching the GPU numbers in the GPU-Z utility too and when I turned off the BI service, it dropped down to 1%
With hardware acceleration working it may not be a significant difference. It takes a few minutes to try. That said you should be running blue Iris on a designated system.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Zikes. Is an h265 camera too CPU hungry for an i7 3770s? I have 3 Camera's running now, all 3 are 2MP PTZ's one can do both compressions, and the onther two are h264.should I be looking at more of the h264 stuff? Grooving along at 27-33% CPU usage, 50C Processor temp.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Zikes. Is an h265 camera too CPU hungry for an i7 3770s? I have 3 Camera's running now, all 3 are 2MP PTZ's one can do both compressions, and the onther two are h264.should I be looking at more of the h264 stuff? Grooving along at 27-33% CPU usage, 50C Processor temp.
You will be fine. I am surprised you are using that much cpu. What are your frame rates? At 15fps and 2mp cameras I would think you would be under 15. Are you running the demo?
There is a new feature that is being introduced in BI in the latest releases that would lower cpu usage significantly further but I would wait until i matures.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You will be fine. I am surprised you are using that much cpu. What are your frame rates? At 15fps and 2mp cameras I would think you would be under 15. Are you running the demo?
There is a new feature that is being introduced in BI in the latest releases that would lower cpu usage significantly further but I would wait until i matures.
Thanks for the reply. BI is full Subscription. Frame rates - 30 fps on all 3...But...It just occured to me...(long day cleaning the yard)....Often I will have the 16 channel NightOwl (DVR HDA10-16) up with 14 Cameras showing in a 16 view display mode as well. That's when I hit the 33% mark. It was about 15% with two and 19-22% with the 3rd 2MP PTZ.AND When I can turn off the DVR feed things are normal. It's going to be a slow migration over to BI, It's a real bitch to manage 2-22" Screens and two mice out of a Rack. So I was able to condense it all to one Monitor and one Mouse using a Dell 7010.
I'm using the Cat5 connection on the DVR to the switch and the Nightowl HD CMS Windows App. I really should be spending time on Building maintenance...:)
They are finally starting to see the clear value in leaving 480P B&W behind and moving to IP. The real case for better equipment came was when I was able to send the police good images and video clips with 2MP fixed turrets (AHD 1080P Coax).
It added a second charge of Grand Theft Auto the Car thieve/Purse snatching Duo. They got caught in another unrelated auto theft, and they were able to Identify them as the same couple in our theft. But the Zosi cam and the Amcrest cam left me wanting. They were now in color, but the details of Bonnie and Clyde's face were a bit weak. So thats when I learned that Coax was out and IP was in. And then I found you fine folks. Now i'm upselling the Condo on the need for better equipment. We just spent $650,000 on a reroof. So the budget is blown. So I can throw in a camera here and there and they can digest it in smaller chunks.

Last edited: