graffiti artist

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We didn't get a chance to catch this kid yet. He was quick and did't spray anything of importance, like the building or our cameras. My magic 8 ball tells me that he will be back soon and probably will be in the back of a police car in the near future.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Taggers like that piss me off even if they're just tagging dumpsters. Nothing says "idiots were here" quite like dumbass tags.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
any chance you can add some flashball automatic target system ? ;-)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
bababuoy,

It seems Night Hawk Monitoring has the objective of catching people (using the help of police)
In contrast to deterrence. You could have very visible cams, strobe lights or two-way audio. Your monitoring folks could deter creeps from tagging, prying doors open, etc.

Do your customers prefer apprehension (and charging the creeps with crimes) or deterin the crime from occuring in the first place?

I'm neutral (I'm not criticizing).
Just curious about the customer's preference, and how they see it from their point of view....

Fastb

stevejay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The local police attitude and responsiveness seems very good to me. In the big city where I live, I think if I called 911 about someone tagging a dumpster in an alley, or suspicious people congregating somewhere, instead of sending cops out they'd tell me to fill out an online report and mail me a pamphlet with advice about how to deter graffiti.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The local police attitude and responsiveness seems very good to me. In the big city where I live, I think if I called 911 about someone tagging a dumpster in an alley, or suspicious people congregating somewhere, instead of sending cops out they'd tell me to fill out an online report and mail me a pamphlet with advice about how to deter graffiti.
They might be a bit angry if you called 911 to report a tagger. Call the non-emergency dispatch number.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tagging and trespassing is a valid reason to call 911.
According to 911.gov you should call 911 in case of emergency (I quote) :

An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance. Examples include:

• A fire
• A crime, especially if in progress
• A car crash, especially if someone is injured
• A medical emergency, especially symptoms that require immediate medical attention

So I would say that tagging is not an emergency.

But...if you caught the guy, hit him with a baseball bat then you may be allowed to call 911 for medical support ;-)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
According to 911.gov you should call 911 in case of emergency (I quote) :

An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance. Examples include:

• A fire
• A crime, especially if in progress
• A car crash, especially if someone is injured
• A medical emergency, especially symptoms that require immediate medical attention

So I would say that tagging is not an emergency.

But...if you caught the guy, hit him with a baseball bat then you may be allowed to call 911 for medical support ;-)
A bit of reading comprehension is in order..Did you not see the part about crime in progress? Furthermore that is simply an example... Tagging and trespassing requires an immediate response from police thus conforming to the rule..

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
should tagging a trashcan considered as a crime ? may be you could call 911 and ask them to get an answer (I am not US living so can't do it myself) ? If I had to call "911" each time a guy do a tag in my city then the police would have no time to handle major crimes or may be they would answer "sorry this is not emergency", do you think a guy tagging a trashcan is an emergency situation ? as you said yourself "a bit of reading comprehension" 911= emergency

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
911 for crimes in progress is pretty simple. It's not your job to prioritize for the police. Call them and let them decide. If they come, awesome. If they can't, then your area needs some douchebag reduction initiatives and maybe some more cops.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
911 for crimes in progress is pretty simple. It's not your job to prioritize for the police. Call them and let them decide. If they come, awesome. If they can't, then your area needs some douchebag reduction initiatives and maybe some more cops.
911 is for emergency situation (and by the way 911 is not police) and tagging is definitly not, for such problem you should cal 311 instead or your local non-emergency numbers (and police also have such number).

How to Call 911: Advice from a 911 Dispatcher | The Art of Manliness

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
should tagging a trashcan considered as a crime ? may be you could call 911 and ask them to get an answer (I am not US living so can't do it myself) ? If I had to call "911" each time a guy do a tag in my city then the police would have no time to handle major crimes or may be they would answer "sorry this is not emergency", do you think a guy tagging a trashcan is an emergency situation ? as you said yourself "a bit of reading comprehension" 911= emergency
Yes it's a crime, is that a serious question? I understand that English is not your first language but this is basic...The website defined emergency for you... Tagging and trespassing does require immediate police response...The fact that your Police department is understaffed is irrelevant to me ...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
An active trespassing and vandalism event is worthy of 911. You don't call 911 to report dry paint on your dumpster. Is that clearer?
Still do not agree I see no trespassing on the video the trashcan sems to be on the street) I would never call 911 for such thing a kid that stay for 2 minutes tagging a trashcan is no harm no emergency situation, but this is my opinion and if your opinion is different no problem I respect that too.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are completely incorrect and providing advice that could endanger others... Tagging and trespassing of ANY kind should immediately be reported to 911
tagging is one thing, trespassing is another of course but I see no trespassing in the video (and yes I am not english native so sometime I may missunderstand)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
tagging is one thing, trespassing is another of course but I see no trespassing in the video (and yes I am not english native so sometime I may missunderstand)
Tagging alone is sufficient to call 911...Please see Google for the definition of trespassing...If you still don't see trespassing then it's time for a refresher English class...

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tagging alone is sufficient to call 911...Please see Google for the definition of trespassing...If you still don't see trespassing then it's time for a refresher English class...
I thought trespassing was the act of moving into someone else private property but what I see on the video is a back side open street of a building so there is no "intrusion" here isn't it ?