Grain night view IPC-HDW2231R-ZS

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I have some IPC-HDW2231R-ZS cameras
I love their day picture, but the night is horrible.
I've tried to fine tune it but it never gets clear, or even close to it.

Is it what this camera can deliver ?
No chance I can use this to identify burglar, or number plates during night.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have some IPC-HDW2231R-ZS cameras
I love their day picture, but the night is horrible.
I've tried to fine tune it but it never gets clear, or even close to it.

Is it what this camera can deliver ?
No chance I can use this to identify burglar, or number plates during night.
Thats because your IR is off and there is not much light there. These cameras are not magical. You need to turn the IR on and move the view away from the wall to prevent reflection.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Starlight doesn't eliminate the need for IR ?
I've tried to enable IR of course, but the builtin IR does crappy work.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried to enable IR of course, but the builtin IR does crappy work.
No it does not eliminate the need for IR if you dont use white light, hence the IR built into the camera.
The IR is not crappy, the installation of the camera is done poorly. You need to turn the camera away from the wall to illuminate the reflection.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using wall bracket might help ?
What do you mean by white light ?

I'm noob to this, Thanks for you patience

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you’re just trying to record stars/weather/city-mountain scenes, it’s not really needed.

You’re trying to record people and number plates (which usually require special camera settings that make nothing but the reflective plates available). Light is needed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Using wall bracket might help ?
What do you mean by white light ?

I'm noob to this, Thanks for you patience
You dont need a bracket, turn the camera so the ir does not reflect off the wall.
White light is the light produced by standard bulbs. These cameras cannot see in the dark.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The idea is to be able to identify people overnight, in case of burglar or what so ever.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The idea is to be able to identify people overnight, in case of burglar or what so ever.
With your camera that zoomed out, it’ll be hard to do even with good light. Have you used the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 tool? It should show you how much you should zoom the camera in if you want to ID someone.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Angle the camera to the right a bit so that the wall is not reflecting so much IR. You don't need all that wall in there, try to avoid as much of is as possible, but still keep in mind if there are points of entry (windows or doors) there.

upload_2019-3-15_18-17-39.png

I circled the wall that has lots of IR reflection.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the last capture, rotate the camera to the left, when looking at it, and get the wall completely out of the frame. Reset the azimuth, or zoom, or both so it's more centered on the cars.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You're making the #1 noob mistake. Trying to do too much with One camera.

The area being illuminated, the garbage can, is actually a pretty damn good image. But the camera is too high and zoomed out too much to ID faces likely.

Are those your cars off to the left in the distance? You need at least 2 cams, and lower, 7-8ft is ideal. And with minimal ambient light you may want to add an external illuminator. But as it is, its too hard to tell what extra ight you may need because one camera isnt going to cover the whole back of the house plus the cars.

In order to ID faces you'll need to zoom in at logical choke points, which of course reduces your field of view.

License plate capture is a whole other thing and requires another dedicated camera zoomed in to a space about the width of a car or two, it wont be of use for anything else.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I had thought about mentioning an external IR, but wanted to wait to see what happens when the frame gets set properly. I cover an area about 40x60 with a single 4231 AND an external illuminator.