Great LPR for under $300

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased this camera from eBay "Ebays Best HI-SPEED License Plate Camera IR ND Infrared Sony CCD 700 TVL 6-60mm " and it works great I run it through a Axis Communications M7011 1-Channel Video Encoder to change it from bnc to Ethernet cable. It has dual shutter speed settings so that when the photo eye senses darkness the shutter speed changes and then back again when daylight is detected. I have it setup reading plates coming up my driveway and works great using with blue iris.

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
These are sold by Rage Cams the guys name is Dennis he is great and goes the extra mile to ensure you are satisfied

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@giavonnie, Sorry but you got seriously ripped off...see the other treads in this section..
Its 2017 and you are recommending running an analog camera through an encoder as a first choice....please..

Last edited:

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey fenderman and hmjgriffon if you took the time to read my post I said it's a great camera not the best this is just an option for people looking for a lpr with dual shutter speed option. The whole point of sites Like this one is to share knowledge of products and help others not to be condescending if you have a better option as you obviously do please share instead of leaving useless comments as I said these sites are for sharing knowledge and helping others if everyone left stupid comments as you two did this site may as well not exist.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey fenderman and hmjgriffon if you took the time to read my post I said it's a great camera not the best this is just an option for people looking for a lpr with dual shutter speed option. The whole point of sites Like this one is to share knowledge of products and help others not to be condescending if you have a better option as you obviously do please share instead of leaving useless comments as I said these sites are for sharing knowledge and helping others if everyone left stupid comments as you two did this site may as well not exist.
But it's not a great option compared to the modern stuff out there. Especially not for well over $200.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@giavonnie not trying to jump on the bandwagon, however fender and HM are correct... You did get ripped off. The title of this thread also is very misleading as this is not a "great" camera no matter what/how you justify. $300 for an analog LPR that requires an encoder is a poor deal for just about anyone.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If the lens (6-60mm) stays focused for plates day and night and if it changes exposure properly for dusk/dawn and if there's no useless dead zone right before/after changeover then it's not a complete waste. It'll make your soul bleed if you're used to watching good hidef footage though.

Personally I'd much rather go with one of the new long lensed Dahua bullets or even their 25x budget PTZ if more than maybe say 16 or 25mm of lens wasn't enough. Lots of really cheap bullet choices with strong built-in IR available with short-ish lenses.

giavonnie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you I'm not criticizing for the part of post on price as much as if you are going to respond please educate and or give advise on what to buy and why other than price my option would not be as good a choice thank you Kawboy12r for the advise I think that is why most of us use these groups to help others or to get advise on products.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
$210 - IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 | Dahua Technology 35mm at this resolution is likely better than 60mm at yours... it can output a cropped 720p substream thats proabibly equivalent to 50-60mm 720p camera

there's a Z12 version w/60mm optics coming down the pipe, but you can get one of these and put whatever optics and IR package you want: IPC-HF5431E | Dahua Technology

You can buy a dahua starlight PTZ for $350 w/120mm optics

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you I'm not criticizing for the part of post on price as much as if you are going to respond please educate and or give advise on what to buy and why other than price my option would not be as good a choice thank you Kawboy12r for the advise I think that is why most of us use these groups to help others or to get advise on products.
Okay then... :goodpost:.....

First if you want to discuss "great deals" goto this thread - it's a discussion of configuring an ALPR for $125'ish...
Dahua 4MP 25mm LPR Modification

Second this thread covers numerous options and configurations.
Dedicated License Plate Cam project

Third and final you can pickup an IP/POE HIK Box camera 3mp/4mp/5mp even and a lens of your choice for sub $300 with no need for media converters, a higher quality trusted name brand camera with better warranty, and something that isn't analog requiring media converters etc.

Your also right that a forum is good for open discussion. However, when you start a new thread and talk about how wonderful a product is and how it does everything you need it to with no pictures/support examples etc, then link to something by a company called "Rage Camera" for a price point that is not even remotely a good deal you can expect to be criticized.

Had you started this differently and asked opinions on this hardware you would have gotten more of an open dialog and suggestions from people. However, you started this thread an an endorsement of the product which is why you are being criticized. While this product may work for your needs, it is not ideal for anyone thus we want to make it clear so that any novices that come by this thread understand not to follow your advice.

Again, not trying to be an ass, but apparently I need to point out "exactly" why you received the feedback you did. Also when you figure a media converter in your more like $450'ish to $500 especially for an axis one which on the used/low end will still be $175-$225

:ohsnap:

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Tomorrow we will ship the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 to @nayr firstly, he maybe the first guy get this camera, thanks for guys waiting.
For the 4mp one still not ready.

Andy

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you day/night schedule the zoom on either Z5's (5231 or 5431)?
I would like a tighter zoom for LPR just at night.

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$210 - IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 | Dahua Technology 35mm at this resolution is likely better than 60mm at yours... it can output a cropped 720p substream thats proabibly equivalent to 50-60mm 720p camera

there's a Z12 version w/60mm optics coming down the pipe, but you can get one of these and put whatever optics and IR package you want: IPC-HF5431E | Dahua Technology

You can buy a dahua starlight PTZ for $350 w/120mm optics
@nayr Is this the Z12 you're referring to?
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

I've been looking for another dedicated LPR cam and was trying to decide between the IPC-HFW5431E-Z5 or IPC-HFW5231E-Z12. I've seen some members with the Z5 and they seem to have good feedback, nothing in the Z12 yet though. Unless I missed it.

Thoughts on the Z5 vs Z12 as as LPR cams?

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how would a regular 5231-rz varifocal do for a "fake" lpr cam??.was testing with my 49225 and worked great...can I get same results with the 5231-rz after tweaker shutter and stuff?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would think the difference would be the zoom. Out to 30-40 ft I would think it would be fine all things considered..