Great News Ready to Upgrade

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have just installed 12 Cams on an I5 6400 12GB Ram 120 ssd and a couple of 5400 HDs. I optimized the CPU to be around 60% which is amazing. This system is in my friends bar. Bozs Sports Bar West Allis WI 53214 come check it out. I want to add 12 more and need the machine to do it. Im looking for your suggestions on a new system. I got an investor that is chipping in after seeing everything in action. Point me to your top choices. I was seeing I7 for $500 range. is this good. Very excited I get to hook up 2 systems with this upgrade because I have someone that wants the one Im replacing. Thanks to all of you for getting me to this point. This site is crazy amazing. And shout out to FenderMan and all his work on here

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just installed 12 Cams on an I5 6400 12GB Ram 120 ssd and a couple of 5400 HDs. I optimized the CPU to be around 60% which is amazing. This system is in my friends bar. Bozs Sports Bar West Allis WI 53214 come check it out. I want to add 12 more and need the machine to do it. Im looking for your suggestions on a new system. I got an investor that is chipping in after seeing everything in action. Point me to your top choices. I was seeing I7 for $500 range. is this good. Very excited I get to hook up 2 systems with this upgrade because I have someone that wants the one Im replacing. Thanks to all of you for getting me to this point. This site is crazy amazing. And shout out to FenderMan and all his work on here
what is the resolution on the 12 cams and frame rate?

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2MP and I have them all set at 15fps. still holding strong at 60% on my current system. Unbelievable how much improvement when I went down to 15fps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
2MP and I have them all set at 15fps. still holding strong at 60% on my current system. Unbelievable how much improvement when I went down to 15fps.
you should be seeing lower numbers with that processor...regardless, any 6th or seventh gen i7 will handle the higher load. Also see Dell releases business class 8th gen intel pc's
the 8th gen i5 is more powerful than a 7th gen i7.

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok one more question about the FPS. Since I see how much CPU processing Im saving by going from 30fps to 15fps where else am I going to see the benefits and what negatives might I experience at the lower fps

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing I've noticed about 15 FPS (and I personally don't consider it a negative) is that faster moving motion <like a car driving by at 35 MPH+> can sometimes look a little jumpy when viewed live. But when I go back and watch it frame-by-frame (which is what I do when something interesting happens and I need to grab a picture of it), it looks perfectly fine.

Are you using H.264 or H.265? And do you have Direct-to-Disc enabled on all of the cameras for recording?

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using H.264 I don't see H.265 in BI camera settings. And yes I have Direct-to-disk enabled on all cameras as well. And thanks for the suggestion of stepping frame by frame what a difference that makes when trying to catch something.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am using H.264 I don't see H.265 in BI camera settings. And yes I have Direct-to-disk enabled on all cameras as well. And thanks for the suggestion of stepping frame by frame what a difference that makes when trying to catch something.
That would be a setting in the cam's setup, not in BI. And last I knew, h265 wasn't working in BI.

Have you read and done everything in the Wiki?
Setting the cams to use VBR, can help.
Once you get used to it, 10fps is just fine as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be a setting in the cam's setup, not in BI. And last I knew, h265 wasn't working in BI.

h.265 works BI. Its just that there is no hardware acceleration with h.265

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Yes Ive used all the settings in the optimization wiki pages.