Greetings and several Questions for new system

Reaction score
Looking to start a new system. First some details. Rural setting with a long drive leading to the house. Dogs (Shepard and Lab) in the yard, but limited to some areas with underground fence. Mid 80's house that does not like to let signals through the walls so likely a wired system. I'm looking for something to cover my entrances and to let me know if some one is coming down the drive. Definitely want push notifications. Must be able to adjust where motion is detected (dogs) Would like to keep under $400. Thinking an 8 channel/4 camera system. Questions:

NVR or DVR, I have a couple of older cameras installed, but not wired to a location I can get Ethernet to, so not sure I would use them any way. I think 1080 will be fine for my use.

Can I have a camera look down the driveway (no trees) to pick up an area 200' from the camera for motion detection? The dogs can not go past this point, drive is 1000' and the only way into my property. Any chance I can ix in a wireless camera for this as would be hard to run cable.

I've been reading as much as possible and looking (mainly on Amazon, but also a few other sites, lorex, foscam) any brands to absolutely avoid? Any decent for my budget?

Most of the apps get poor reviews any that are decent?

Anything else?

thanks
Joe

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a 500 foot driveway and use this Dakota Alert system to give me an audible alert when something comes up the driveway — https://www.amazon.com/Dakota-Alert-MURS-Detection-Kit/dp/B00FJ9S0W2

The base station has a dry contact output that I wired into my NVR. I then programmed the NVR to take a series of photos from my cameras and then email and text to my phone and IPad.

This system works great since it alerts me with an audible alarm when I am home and notifies me by text when I am away and shows me the vehicle/person/animal.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also with motion detection you will get tons of false detection. A spider at night sets the detection off almost nonstop.

Reaction score
Thanks @GCoco . I actually have that system, Unfortunately, my house requires I keep it around 200' away (something with the construction material blocking signals) My neighbors have it as well and theirs is nearly 1000' and works fine. Also, more concerned about notifications when I am not home.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For a reliable system to meet your requirements, you will have to up your budget.
Stay away from wireless.
As Q mentioned, Study the wiki at the top of the page, especially the cliff notes.
All your goals can most likely be accomplished.