Greetings from Noob in London, NVR, POE Switch question

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, as others say, after looking for info on the web I keep returning to this excellent site so here I am......Looking at installing a cctv system but wanted guidance first. If I was to install 8 ip cameras around house and garden, is it best to run all cables over poe to nvr in house(8 cables) or use a non poe nvr and a poe switch(less cables)? I understand the theory of the switch but does it not slow down the system if all cameras run back to nvr through one cat 6 cable.?...also if this is ok in theory how many cameras could you use with a 8 channel nvr to record? Still only 8 ? as there is only 8 channels in the nvr. Hope this makes sense and many thanks in advance. Just want to future proof as far as i can. Steve.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, as others say, after looking for info on the web I keep returning to this excellent site so here I am......Looking at installing a cctv system but wanted guidance first. If I was to install 8 ip cameras around house and garden, is it best to run all cables over poe to nvr in house(8 cables) or use a non poe nvr and a poe switch(less cables)? I understand the theory of the switch but does it not slow down the system if all cameras run back to nvr through one cat 6 cable.?...also if this is ok in theory how many cameras could you use with a 8 channel nvr to record? Still only 8 ? as there is only 8 channels in the nvr. Hope this makes sense and many thanks in advance. Just want to future proof as far as i can. Steve.
8 channel NVR will only handle 8 cams.
Everything to a POE switch is best, then one cable to NVR.
Buy a 16 ch NVR, it's only $20 or so more.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks for your help, does this not bottle neck/slow down speed ? Also if all channels travel through one cable is it still easy asign channels to nvr?? Is the main benefit of a switch setup to reduce noice or are there any other plus points,Again thanks for all your help

Steve
any

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many thanks for your help, does this not bottle neck/slow down speed ? Also if all channels travel through one cable is it still easy asign channels to nvr?? Is the main benefit of a switch setup to reduce noice or are there any other plus points,Again thanks for all your help

Steve

any
Usually you match NVR and camera with the same manufacturer. But you can mix and match you will just loose some manufacturer features (i.e. Dahua cameras on Hikvision NVR you will not be able to use Dahua IVS) You can easy assign channels through one cables as you are working with IP addresses not signals.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Normally better to buy a 16CH camera, because you can be easy to add more cams and have some spare ports for using, some nvr's port may fail during the using.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Steve

any
If you purchase a gigabyte POE switch, or at least one with a gigabyte uplink port, you'll have no bottle neck.

The benefit of the switch is less wire mess at the NVR, so easier to place NVR.
Some POE NVRs are loud, so with switch, quieter NVR.
Easier to connect directly to cams to make adjustments.
Best to keep cameras and NVR the same brand.

Read the attached.

Attachments

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks to you all for the information, really been helpful to get direct excellent advice, and the Cliff notes are just what i needed, thanks again.

Steve

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
stevep,
Welcome to the forum!

Some POE NVRs are loud, so with switch, quieter NVR.
looney2ns makes a good point re: noise. If noise is a consideration, get a poe switch that is "fanless"

Regarding POE NVR, or regular NVR, another difference is how easy it to configure the cams. The POE NVR creates its own subnet for the cams, making it a little tricky if you want to surf to the cam to configure it directly. Not impossible, but adds some complexity.

Regarding your concern about a bottleneck, compare the NVR spec for input bandwidth (recording bandwidth). 200Mbps is a common spec. So a 1GB connection to the NVR is plenty fast. (not the difference is specifying speed, upper case b or lower cas. ie: B=Byte, b=bit) 200 Mbps is not the same as 200MB per second.

Welcome again. Have fun!

Fastb

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok,thanks again, if i am trying to future proof for 4k if that is actually possible, and are looking at having at least 8 cameras(not all 4k), an nvr that handles 200mbps how many cameras does that handle if say 6 are 4/5mp cameras and say 2 are 4k(12mp?) hope this makes sense. Would the cabling need to be cat6,6a or will cat5 be ok. This is the area i need to get starting on now. Thanks

Steve

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok,thanks again, if i am trying to future proof for 4k if that is actually possible, and are looking at having at least 8 cameras(not all 4k), an nvr that handles 200mbps how many cameras does that handle if say 6 are 4/5mp cameras and say 2 are 4k(12mp?) hope this makes sense. Would the cabling need to be cat6,6a or will cat5 be ok. This is the area i need to get starting on now. Thanks

Steve
Cat 6 is fine.
Look at the specs here: http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/19831

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One more question, if this is the correct place to ask it???? I understand now the benefit of using a poe switch, if i run all cables to a switch, is it fair to say that I may need maybe 2 poe switches? ie. 1 for one part of house and 2nd for other part?? to minimise cable runs? Could an NVR with poe be handy for this or would using a switch and say 2 cameras running into nvr defeat the point of a switch?

Steve

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One more question, if this is the correct place to ask it???? I understand now the benefit of using a poe switch, if i run all cables to a switch, is it fair to say that I may need maybe 2 poe switches? ie. 1 for one part of house and 2nd for other part?? to minimise cable runs? Could an NVR with poe be handy for this or would using a switch and say 2 cameras running into nvr defeat the point of a switch?

Steve
Sure, that would work if that helps with keeping runs to a minimum. Don't put switches in attics!