Greetings from Oregon:)

Soreloser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been reading, researching, and learning a ton of new information on here and a few other sites. You guys seem to be the most knowledgeable and helpful by far. I am in the buying stage of an NVR, IP camera system and have narrowed it down to a Dahua NVR5216-16p-4KS2 unit based on my current needs and possible upgrades in the future. IP camera set up I am looking at 2 of the EB5400N fish eye and 2 possibly 3 of the HDW4431C-A. Any input or suggestions on this system would be greatly appreciated. The EB5400 and 1 of the 4431 will be utilized in the house and 1 or 2 of the 4431 will be for outdoor perimeter surveillance and will be mounted under sofets for some protection.

My need for the audio is imperative for this system. My goals with this are to monitor 24/7 with a 4TB or a 6TB hard drive and every week or so I will put the contents on a separate storage and it will be filed for future reference if needed. I am not a very techy type of person with basic computer skills although my wife has more computer knowledge. As I stated above, any help or insight would be great. Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome.
Use this to help select your camera locations: Camera Calculator / Design Software keep PPF>100
You want to know who did it, not just what happened. For that mount cams no higher than 8ft.
Currently some folks are having issue's with that NVR, search for the thread on that and decide for yourself if it's for you.
Good luck.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
x2 on reading the review threads on the Dahua NVRs. I have one and I'm pretty frustrated with how it handles video when Motion or IVS events are detected. Hopefully this can be fixed via a firmware update, but who knows. Have you read about an easy way to move recordings from the NVR to external storage? I can't think of one, but that's a task I haven't had to tackle yet. :) I've just started using Blue Iris software on a PC, and it looks like it has a pretty easy way to configure old data to be moved automatically to different storage.

I think the 4431-C is made for the Chinese market. This makes it pretty inexpensive, but I don't think it's all metal like the International version, and I don't think you can ever update the firmware.

For the outdoor ones, if they'll be recording in low-light situations, you might consider a Starlight model instead (like a 4231). While the Starlight models are 2MP, the Sony sensors inside are bigger and capture more detail per pixel. Compared to 4MP cameras with the normal sized sensors, the Starlight image quality can be leaps and bounds better during low-light, and pretty much the same during regular light.

Soreloser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Of course I did a lot of research on that NVR but I never seen that thread. I ordered one from Andy yesterday and I guess we will see how it goes. Hopefully I will get it to do what I need it to do. I am on a bit of a time crunch with needing this system. Also I ordered 2 of the ebw81200 as I believe these will fit my needs in the house. I will get the starlights for outdoors but right now that's not my concern. I am not interested as much for ID ing anyone for theft purposes although that will be an added bonus of the system in the long run. My biggest concern right now is the monitoring of situations indoors with my son. It would seem his mother ( my ex) is still bitter about the divorce and has manipulated him into saying I am verbally and emotionally abusive. Long story short, I need the ability to record every situation that occurs because I don't know what she will come up with next sense she didn't get her way in court on 5-8-17. Messed up I can't trust my own son but I have to do what I have to in order to protect myself.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry about your situation. I'm throwing this out there just in case, but if you want to use any audio that you record in court at a later date, definitely check into what your state's requirements for notification of such recordings are. Some stats have no requirements, others require signage be posted, etc.

Regarding the NVR, if you don't use Motion Detection or IVS events, it should work great for recording video/audio. If you want to setup Motion Detection/IVS recordings, check early on to see if there's any impact to the audio being recorded when one of those events starts. My feel is that a second or two may be lost. Andy has been working with Dahua support on this. If the NVR turns out to be an issue, consider using Blue Iris on a PC for NVR. It doesn't drop frames, and it's easy to archive recordings to other drives (for longer-term storage).

Soreloser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. In Oregon the law stipulates that all parties involved must be notified that they are being recorded audibly, I bought signs to post by the front door and a couple other spots to cover anyone that enters our residence. I have a phone app that allows me to record phone conversations and I have used those in court. Eliminates the he said she said stuff very quickly. I just received the NVR and done cameras from Andy. My weekend has just got very busy installing everything. My wife was saying that I acted like it was Christmas all week with all the stuff showing up:). I am sure I will have a few questions before I get everything done. Thanks for the input so far