Greetings From The Central Coast Of CA

ezlivin11

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike/EZ is the Name, and everyday is a Saturday now that I'm retired. I have been using Blue Iris with low end cameras (mostly Foscam), and it is time for a major camera upgrade. I have 3 bullet's , 1 small PTZ, every usb web cam I could find (10 cams total), and My stepson still gets in. I did record him disabling a bullet cam once. I'm done playin round, time to step it up.
I am using a Lenovo laptop with a clocked I-7, dual nvida video cards using cuda, with a external purple HD for My computer, and a Asus router with Merlin firmware for the network. I know I'm going to need 1 POE switch, 2 turrets and 3 more bullet's and a good PTZ to cover the outside perimeter, and I am thinking all hidden in the house. Areas that need to be covered, the driveway (VF turret), the front porch (VF turret), the east and west sides of the house (bullet), inside the garage (?), and something I can control up in the tallest tree. Add the three bullets already installed , a gopher better not get in undetected LOL.
My stepson is smart, very sneaky, but lazy. So My install needs to be wired with some sort of intrusion alert (example: My router is the watchdog for My network, and if the net is logged on to by someone other than me LOCKDOWN IS ENFORCED TO ALL, NO EXCEPTIONS, and I am notified by RF on a closed repeater. Data is stored on site and sent off site to insure capture of all data. This network is up and has been running for over two years now, so it is mostly a matter of installing better cameras in key areas and use the Foscams for the wide angle views.
Oh I feel it coming that big question, how much do I want to spend? I say go big or stay home.
Instead of a budget this time I'm going to set up a cost center that can be reloaded as needed, and the wife cant track if I'm spending too much :). Opps I didn't say that out loud did I.
This is where You all get to help Me spend up some good old US of A dollars ;-).
Mike/EZ

whatevah

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

ezlivin11

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at something like this for the East/west sides of the property
EmpireTech-IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M-Starlight-Network, and pretty much came up with the same hit list for the turrets an bullet's.
I'm impressed with the power of the PTZ@ a reasonable investment. before retirement I was working on a Ocean Surveillance System for the Air Force and it was capable of looking to the horizon. It has thermal imaging, a box camera with a massive lens, and surface radar. Very useful, but pricey 150k
Indoors is where I'm having trouble making up My mind. So many to pick from it can make your head spin.

ezlivin11

n3wb
Reaction score
Now If I knew that there would not be a need for security LOL. My Daughter and Her Brother (aka My step) were having their way putting the pinch on Grandma (She can't say no). During the Thomas Fire My Mom fell and broke Her Knee, so I jumped in and took over. Long>Short They are on the street and a crapload is and continues to disappear. He knows what is going on here cuz it is only a matter of minutes from when we leave to when He shows up, then nothing. Nothing recorded, no alarms in Blue Iris, and no zones tripped on the xfinity@home. Other than windows there are only 3 known entrances to the house, and I have watched all 3. When I do see Him it is in the Garage, computer room and the main bathroom. I think He is commin in from under the house. Cuz, Our rat dog hates him an will rat him out when here, and She has been barkin at the floor instead of Barkin at the moon. There are 9 zones in the house, 2 are bath rooms, 2 are bed rooms, computer room, junk room, Livingroom, kitchen, and the garage. One small PTZ can cover the Livingroom, kitchen, hallways and all 3 entrances, but what I have is slow jumpy and does not track.
This is Cloe
IMG_2792.JPG
AKA: Rat Dawg
PS: Yes I have been there several times now Thanks Mike/EZ

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @ezlivin11 . May I suggest:
  • Install Dahua Varifocal Starlight 2MP POE turrets for your fixed cams.
  • Do not use wireless, go wired.
  • Use solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) CAT-5e cable; use CAT-6 for runs with POE if over 150 feet.
  • On Blue Iris, record continuous + triggered
  • Show Rat Dawg a Photoshopped picture of your stepson feeding squirrels and petting cats.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now If I knew that there would not be a need for security LOL. My Daughter and Her Brother (aka My step) were having their way putting the pinch on Grandma (She can't say no). During the Thomas Fire My Mom fell and broke Her Knee, so I jumped in and took over. Long>Short They are on the street and a crapload is and continues to disappear. He knows what is going on here cuz it is only a matter of minutes from when we leave to when He shows up, then nothing. Nothing recorded, no alarms in Blue Iris, and no zones tripped on the xfinity@home. Other than windows there are only 3 known entrances to the house, and I have watched all 3. When I do see Him it is in the Garage, computer room and the main bathroom. I think He is commin in from under the house. Cuz, Our rat dog hates him an will rat him out when here, and She has been barkin at the floor instead of Barkin at the moon. There are 9 zones in the house, 2 are bath rooms, 2 are bed rooms, computer room, junk room, Livingroom, kitchen, and the garage. One small PTZ can cover the Livingroom, kitchen, hallways and all 3 entrances, but what I have is slow jumpy and does not track.
This is Cloe
AKA: Rat Dawg
PS: Yes I have been there several times now Thanks Mike/EZ
First, report him to police for theft, every time something disappears.
If coming in from under the house, nail the access panel shut that he has to be using to get into the house from the crawl.
Secure the route he is using to get under the house.
If you are missing BI alerts, have you tested your settings by walking your zones? They take fine tuning.

You can't be nice to dirtbags like this.

ezlivin11

n3wb
Reaction score
TonyR, other than small ptz in the house and a bullet on a pole outside (both used for camera placement surveys) the system is wired w/cable runs in conduit). The main hub (computer, nvr, router, an whatnot) is in a metal cabinet in a undisclosed area. I plan on installing a managed poe switch in the center of the planed zones then connect the switch to the router. I think having legacy camera's on 1 branch and new on another will make integration less complicated. . .
Looney2ns, I agree, and it all sounds good, but that isn't how the world works around here. Gma will not press charges, an I can't till She is off to the other side to see Daddy. I did get Her to make a report on a Theft (I mean disappearance) of some US saving bonds. Treasury dept. tracked them to when, where, and who cashed them. Mother refused to prosecute, and unfortunately none were in My name so I can't sign the complaint. I do have a plan though, in fact there is plan A to E at this point (this being part C). Plan C:Douctumation, Build My case, then inform the Treasury Dept. Mom has old-timers, CRS whatever and take over security of the trust. Then I can do whatever is necessary to drop kick that punk ass piece of S#!t!!!
A as far testing My zones, Rat dog doesn't get in or out of any covered zone. Covered Zone is the operative phrase here, so it is time to cover all Zones.
My friends all keep reminding I used to do this for the Air Force why can't I do it at home. Of course the answer is Money {cuz I gotta pony up the bucks}. I'm motivated now, so I'm goin all-in with My own chips and install something more than just functional.
I want to show I am serious about this endeavor, so I went to the bank today and transformed My automotive build budget into My newly formed Security cost center. This will more than cover the installation, and allow Me to get started.
I spent many hours this week boning up on cameras, and only have more questions, isn't that the way it always starts. Even if You stick with 1 brand there are so many to pick from, and trying to find why one is more than another yet they have the exact same description. I just ordered pedals for My bicycle. I had the field down to two contenders, one was 80$ the other was 29$, so I ordered both from amazon. The package arrived I tore into it like it was Xmass, and lo and behold there were two of the exact same peddels. I went enny meany miny moe and sent one back to the high priced seller. I am almost finished with zoning and placement plan, so my hardware list/questions will be ready soon.
Night All Mike/EZ

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally some time to My self it has been like a Hotel and Spa around here, with Me being the bellhop. During the Quiet hrs (late night) I've been doing My homework, but is tough getting up to speed on so many subjects at one time. A complete upgrade instead of trying to integrate would be EZer, so I gathered up the hardware I have on hand, and it looks like I'm off to a good start.
tp-link 16 port W/8poe TL-SG1016PE
Asus AC-88U and a AC-68U routers
3 Foscam outdoor bullet cams, and 1 indoor ptz
1 DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z (Thanks to UtahMike)
several SSD's and HDD's
Apx. 200' of VIVO Cat6 23AWG UTP Outdoor direct burial
Hardware Needed: 1Computer, and as many good camera's I and beg, borrow, or buy (I'm sure more will pop up when installation starts, always does). For the pc I keep going back to these units.
Lenovo Thinkcentre M83 Desktop - Intel i5 3.2GHz (4570) Quad Core CPU - 8GB RAM -128GB SSD - DVD - Gigabit Ethernet - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed - KB/Mouse Included - Newegg.com
Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Desktop SFF – Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz (4th Gen.) – 8GB – 500GB HDD – DVDRW – WIFI – Windows 10 Pro (Quad Core) - Newegg.com

both should work out of the box and are upgradeable, I see wifi, hdd drive, and the model # as being the differences (hardware to upgrade either on-hand except processor).
Questions: What if any Is the differences between a ThinkCenter M73 and a M83, and will the crimpers in the store do passthru terminations? :)
Now on to some more serious questions, and before Some-one types read the wiki, Been There an Done it several times... It has been very informative and has answered most of My questions so far. So a big thanks to all for contributing: "Thank You All".
But I still need verification before I file all this in My head (I've always been on the hardware install not hardware selection). My biggest question is on processors, It is My understanding that as long as the chipset and MB's are the same an i5 can be upgraded to an i7 (the difference is the i7 has hyperthreading), and I can use most every processor in the Haswell family up to the 4770K If The MB supports ht. Am I correct? If I am correct I think all I have left is camera selection.
outside cameras are pretty much a no brainer, You have covered that subject well, but inside that is where I could use some suggestions. the little foscam ptz has prime real-estate so she has to be upgraded, I'll need 2+ indoor hidden camera's. 2 will cover the 3 entrances and 2 hallways and the + is for the computer and high end storage rooms).
I keep getting interrupted, so Call The Ball and let Me know if I'm on track or Life sucks and I have to hit the books more.
Mike/EZ

whatevah

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want to use the WD Purple drives, you'll likely need to remove the DVD drive. I believe the M series only have one empty 2.5" bay inside the case, no 3.5" bays. They usually don't have extra SATA cables, either... but if you're removing the DVD drive, you'll be fine.

M73 vs M83, I believe the M83 have USB 3.0 for all of the USB ports, while the M73 uses USB 2 for the front ports and USB 3 for the rear. Beyond that, I'm not sure of any real differences... after I saw the lack of empty 3.5" bays, I looked elsewhere (ended up with an Optiplex 9010 system).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Finally some time to My self it has been like a Hotel and Spa around here, with Me being the bellhop. During the Quiet hrs (late night) I've been doing My homework, but is tough getting up to speed on so many subjects at one time. A complete upgrade instead of trying to integrate would be EZer, so I gathered up the hardware I have on hand, and it looks like I'm off to a good start.
tp-link 16 port W/8poe TL-SG1016PE
Asus AC-88U and a AC-68U routers
3 Foscam outdoor bullet cams, and 1 indoor ptz
1 DH-IPC-HDW5231R-Z (Thanks to UtahMike)
several SSD's and HDD's
Apx. 200' of VIVO Cat6 23AWG UTP Outdoor direct burial
Hardware Needed: 1Computer, and as many good camera's I and beg, borrow, or buy (I'm sure more will pop up when installation starts, always does). For the pc I keep going back to these units.
Lenovo Thinkcentre M83 Desktop - Intel i5 3.2GHz (4570) Quad Core CPU - 8GB RAM -128GB SSD - DVD - Gigabit Ethernet - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installed - KB/Mouse Included - Newegg.com
Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Desktop SFF – Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz (4th Gen.) – 8GB – 500GB HDD – DVDRW – WIFI – Windows 10 Pro (Quad Core) - Newegg.com

both should work out of the box and are upgradeable, I see wifi, hdd drive, and the model # as being the differences (hardware to upgrade either on-hand except processor).
Questions: What if any Is the differences between a ThinkCenter M73 and a M83, and will the crimpers in the store do passthru terminations? :)
Now on to some more serious questions, and before Some-one types read the wiki, Been There an Done it several times... It has been very informative and has answered most of My questions so far. So a big thanks to all for contributing: "Thank You All".
But I still need verification before I file all this in My head (I've always been on the hardware install not hardware selection). My biggest question is on processors, It is My understanding that as long as the chipset and MB's are the same an i5 can be upgraded to an i7 (the difference is the i7 has hyperthreading), and I can use most every processor in the Haswell family up to the 4770K If The MB supports ht. Am I correct? If I am correct I think all I have left is camera selection.
outside cameras are pretty much a no brainer, You have covered that subject well, but inside that is where I could use some suggestions. the little foscam ptz has prime real-estate so she has to be upgraded, I'll need 2+ indoor hidden camera's. 2 will cover the 3 entrances and 2 hallways and the + is for the computer and high end storage rooms).
I keep getting interrupted, so Call The Ball and let Me know if I'm on track or Life sucks and I have to hit the books more.
Mike/EZ
DO NOT USE THAT VIVO CABLE IF ITS CCA/COPPER CLAD ALUMINUM. You want solid copper.
Both those computers are over priced. You can have a newer i5-6500 system for 200. Upgrading processors is simply never cost effective.
Avoid foscam.

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All good points, and I did consider them Thanks. As far as the drives I've been using a laptop up till now, so room has been an issue. My 2 4tb purple hdd's are in an external enclosure, also I have a 500g and a 1tb 2.5 SSD to replace the 128g SSD. I looked up what processor I'm using now (a 4700MQ), and it and the 4570 are very close. Hyperthreading being the difference. I have been searching for awhile, and What I find is the i3 goes for around 100+, the i5 200+, and the i7 400+ of corse this is refurbished. I found less expensive, but after you add the same features the price is the same or more. I Have My fingers crossed something better will pop up on BF. If someone had a link to 6th Gen or better I would be very thankful on this Thanksgiving Holliday. Oh Yea Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
I wished I had been told about foscam years ago, but that is water under the bridge. They work and picture Quality does lack, so they will be moved to the less important zones. Also the VIVO is solid copper, but not shielded (200ft=20.00$).
Darn it I hear people, time for Me to head out before I'm found out LOL. I left coffee out as a distraction for them, and an alarm for Me. I'm off to anywhere but here LOL
See Ya an Thanks for the responses all good thigs to consider.
Mike/EZ

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All good points, and I did consider them Thanks. As far as the drives I've been using a laptop up till now, so room has been an issue. My 2 4tb purple hdd's are in an external enclosure, also I have a 500g and a 1tb 2.5 SSD to replace the 128g SSD. I looked up what processor I'm using now (a 4700MQ), and it and the 4570 are very close. Hyperthreading being the difference. I have been searching for awhile, and What I find is the i3 goes for around 100+, the i5 200+, and the i7 400+ of corse this is refurbished. I found less expensive, but after you add the same features the price is the same or more. I Have My fingers crossed something better will pop up on BF. If someone had a link to 6th Gen or better I would be very thankful on this Thanksgiving Holliday. Oh Yea Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.
I wished I had been told about foscam years ago, but that is water under the bridge. They work and picture Quality does lack, so they will be moved to the less important zones. Also the VIVO is solid copper, but not shielded (200ft=20.00$).
Darn it I hear people, time for Me to head out before I'm found out LOL. I left coffee out as a distraction for them, and an alarm for Me. I'm off to anywhere but here LOL
See Ya an Thanks for the responses all good thigs to consider.
Mike/EZ
nope..first, i3 and i5 are completely meaningless terms...there are too many variants.
you can buy an i5-6500 system with 8gb of memory prodesk/elitedesk for under 200 any day of the week. ebay is your friend.
I would triple check the vivo cable and cut it open to confirm...I would never trust any cable from a brand that also sells CCA like vivo.

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm about all shopped out., Mom took advantage of Me by tossing a washer and dryer on the pile of stuff to find. It seems like as soon as I buy something, a price drop or step up in the product shows up in My email. LOL
Fenderman, the cat 6 is pure copper. I scraped a few wires with a blade and nothing but copper on the bench, Nice. Also I started looking at Ebay, and there is a price difference in what is out there. Ebay has the issue of dealing with a unk. seller, and most of them say no returns unlike Amazon and newegg (read the description several times and be sure before hitting the buy button). I was able to get the turret on the driveway installed before the rain moved in this morning :). More camera's Man, I need more camera's! I keep hearing Beer Thirty rattling around in My head, and I don't need to be told twice.
AMF Mike/EZ

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wind is howling as the rain pounds on the tin roof of My radio shack. It is looking like the Thomas Fire all over, but up in Paradise. Here in Santa Barbara Co. We Endured the Thomas Fire, then shortly there after the rains created mud flows and took out everything in it's path. The Camp Fire made a right turn and missed our home up there and we were spared. Family members have been lets say debating on Who get's to take charge of Our Home (being the last standing structure in the family), and Mother Nature is getting ready to take another shot across Our bow or at Our House (in the form of mud flows). We are safely tucked out of harms way, and it is still going to be a long night just waiting.
On to a better subject, I've been laying out bits of computer and it is starting to take some direction. The OCD in Me could not let Me hit the buy button on a bare bones. I have rounded up a i7-4770K w/cooler, a MSI Z87-G43 MoBo, 16g Kingston ram,850w Gold psu,2x2T 7200 128m barracuda's, 2x4T WD Purple's, and a 4 bay enclosure, Samsung 870 Evo SSD along with 2.2pci SSDs'. And a drum roll please..... I have spent just under 400.00 so far. I have been putting bits away, for a computer and laptop upgrade any way. At least that is how I'm going to justify it LOL. Just so this isn't a surprise later, I have been working on off the grid systems for years, and I have several projects that need to be packaged together and be Man packable with rapid deployment, and here is the hard part, self sustaining IE: wind, solar, battery, and shore power inputs. My office has been mostly off grid for almost a year now. I don't have enough batteries for a heater, so I do cheat and use some shore power. My end game is to have a small comm center that can be deployed then need little if any maintains. If You are a Ham think "Field Day" in a box. On Field Day, in June Hams around the world set up remote comm centers and try to connect to as many other hams as posable in a 24 hr. time frame. It would be ideal for up at paradise, there is no comm, no power, heck no roads nothing. I started on this when I was setting up different platforms of needed equipment for work and play. Well now I get to add camera's for remote monitoring. I have the power station, computer networks, Analog/digital interoperability repeaters, and more built and operational. My problem is, the smallest working platform has been a Isuzu Rodeo. I am at a large two man pelican case for everything but the power station. I can't lift the batteries any more LOL. I hope I haven't bored too many of You all, and after I pick up a few more camera's I'll be moving this into a build. Mike/EZ

Armysurplus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought I'd share some pos feedback. I was in Costco yesterday looking for some SD cards, and saw a couple looking at surveillance systems. The wife said this one looks cute, and puts it in the cart. I asked if they plan on installing that themselves, and of corse the said sure it looks Ez. Well the flood gates opened and I began to spew info , and show them clips from low end cameras (foscam) then a few from a Dahua turret. She asked, where did I get all this info, and if was I a professional installer. She thought I was trying to sell Her a install. I pointed Them to here, and they looked at the site for no more than a minute, before the Man put system back on the shelf. He then said lets go do our homework before we commit to something we won't be happy with. I smiled and slipped Him My number in case he had more questions. Mike/EZ

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've spoiled a few sales like that for Sams.
They've got some real no-name crap on the shelves last time I was in there.

Then we must remember there are people that will purchase a new car without ever sitting in it, let alone test drive it.