Greetings! looking for recording hw or software.

JoeShmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I made the mistake of diversifying, I have 3 Hikvision 3MP cams, and 4 Dahua 3MP. To record it all, I get one of those el-cheapo 8 channel escam NVRs. It seems to only want to display the hikvisions, it MIGHT be recording all the cams tho, but the UI is a bit clunky.
Next, I planned on buying blue iris, but the demo kills a little core 2 duo w/4 gigs with only 2 cameras (no recording yet, so its not an encode issue). From various reading, it sounds like I need to buy a better system (around $600), So for that kind of $$, I might just buy exacq licenses, as I know that software works nicely, even on lower end hardware (its what I implemented at my last job; had 64 cameras (1080P) on one box).

Can anyone offer any other suggestions/ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I made the mistake of diversifying, I have 3 Hikvision 3MP cams, and 4 Dahua 3MP. To record it all, I get one of those el-cheapo 8 channel escam NVRs. It seems to only want to display the hikvisions, it MIGHT be recording all the cams tho, but the UI is a bit clunky.
Next, I planned on buying blue iris, but the demo kills a little core 2 duo w/4 gigs with only 2 cameras (no recording yet, so its not an encode issue). From various reading, it sounds like I need to buy a better system (around $600), So for that kind of $$, I might just buy exacq licenses, as I know that software works nicely, even on lower end hardware (its what I implemented at my last job; had 64 cameras (1080P) on one box).

Can anyone offer any other suggestions/ideas?
You will not need a 600 dollar system for that load. A 300 dollar haswell i5-4590 with 3 year next business day warranty will be more than enough. Exacq is a good option as well.

JoeShmo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm... the Dahua 4216-4k is around $380, not sure about it's features tho, and MD compatibility with non-dahua, but at least its a box you can just set and forget, and 16 cams.
Wondering how far a i5-4590 based system will go as far as # of cams... at $170 for the CPU, then another $400 to build a system around it. (or a refurb dell for around $400)
OR, back to the exacq licenses, at around $350 or so, and use a system I already have kicking around...
Sounds like no matter what, its going to be around $400. Wonder what kind of performance I'll see with that CPU with blue iris and 7 or more cams at 10fps..
hard to make a decision with so many unknowns (and trying to be somewhat future-proof)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you look aground you can get the 4216-4k for ~$250 delivered.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... the Dahua 4216-4k is around $380, not sure about it's features tho, and MD compatibility with non-dahua, but at least its a box you can just set and forget, and 16 cams.
Wondering how far a i5-4590 based system will go as far as # of cams... at $170 for the CPU, then another $400 to build a system around it. (or a refurb dell for around $400)
OR, back to the exacq licenses, at around $350 or so, and use a system I already have kicking around...
Sounds like no matter what, its going to be around $400. Wonder what kind of performance I'll see with that CPU with blue iris and 7 or more cams at 10fps..
hard to make a decision with so many unknowns (and trying to be somewhat future-proof)
The i5-4590 systems can be had for 300. I paid 280 each for my last 5. All one month old with remainder of 3 year next business day warranties. (HP elitedesk 800). Search the forum for elitedesk and optiplex. Dont forget to check the power consumption on your old system. Exacq is excellent, but be sure to read the feature matrix as the start edition is neutered compared to the pro.

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua 4216-4k should do a fine job
Hey Nayr, I thought Dahua NVR will not record Hikvsion cams. OP wrote he has "3 Hikvision 3MP cams, and 4 Dahua 3MP".

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have ONLY Hik cameras its pretty stupid to not buy a Hikvision NVR.. but you went ahead and mixed and matched, so that train already left the station.. with Hardware NVR's you'll get more features and less heartache if you dont mix and match brands, you may find that not all the Hikvision features work as some of them may be only supported with matching equipment..

but it will work with them, I suspect if you have any issues it'll be with IVS/Smart features such as linecross and intrusion detection.. but IIRC the 3MP Hiks didnt have those features did they?

Anto

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if you have ONLY Hik cameras its pretty stupid to not buy a Hikvision NVR.. but you went ahead and mixed and matched, so that train already left the station.. with Hardware NVR's you'll get more features and less heartache if you dont mix and match brands, you may find that not all the Hikvision features work as some of them may be only supported with matching equipment..

but it will work with them, I suspect if you have any issues it'll be with IVS/Smart features such as linecross and intrusion detection.. but IIRC the 3MP Hiks didnt have those features did they?
I don't know about the 3MP Hiks, I have 4MP hiks. It does have line cross and intrusion detection which I have not set up (see attached). Currently I am only using motion detection which has been working awesome!intrusion.jpg

Just for clarification I only have one Hiks, and one Dahua. I think my next cam will be a Huisun.
Will a Dahua NVR recognize a Huisun or will need to be set up as ONVIF?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
basic motion detection SHOULD work with any ONVIF compatible camera.. should being a key term, not MUST..