Greetings

nunonbreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Building a new house, will have 3 external locations for PoE cameras (front door, side door, back yard) and 3 internal locations (entry hall, playroom, upstairs hallway)

From reading through several of your great threads I think I will go with a mix of Huisin PTZ and Hikvision turret cams all run back to a server running Blue Iris in the garage (fully insulated and finished, will remain pretty cool in the summer and warm in the winter)

The only question I have is surrounding the network setup, I was just going to get a PoE switch and hook that to my wireless router, but one of the threads recommended isolating the camera network. How would I do that?

Dual NICs on the server with one connected to the PoE and one connected to the wireless router?

Last edited by a moderator:

nunonbreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, one more thing, I want to make sure the server is backed up to the cloud frequently, what automated process do most folks use for that?

dalepa

Reaction score
Welcome to forum!

Not sure why you need to isolate your network, seems to be overkill. 6 cams at about 4Mbit/s is ~24Mbit/s is my math is right. Still lots of bandwidth even on a 100mbit link. KISS, and just plug the POE switches into your router.

I sync clips to a drive in a closet for backup and email alerts to my phone for the critical alerts.

$99 for a Hik 2335 on amazon is a pretty good deal... Huisin PTZ is fun to play with, but may not be best initially. I would get the PTZ as a 7th cam an use it to overlook the front yard and try to get it to patrol.

Also, Get a POE+ switch like TP-LINK 8 Port which will have enough power for the Hiusun. Some, including myself have had power issues with POE 15W max ports with Huisun PTZ

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may want to plan a camera (or 2) at the end of the driveway and bury that cable before the landscaping goes in. The driveway looks to be about 120-feet to the road? With a 30-foot drop over 120-feet, the last 3rd of the driveway (out to the road) may be isolated and you may want to monitor it in the future.

nunonbreak

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to forum!

Not sure why you need to isolate your network, seems to be overkill. 6 cams at about 4Mbit/s is ~24Mbit/s is my math is right. Still lots of bandwidth even on a 100mbit link. KISS, and just plug the POE switches into your router.
Thanks! I didn't think it would be an issue, just saw it brought up frequently.

I sync clips to a drive in a closet for backup and email alerts to my phone for the critical alerts.
So the main Blue Iris computer backs up to a drive somewhere else?

IAlso, Get a POE+ switch like TP-LINK 8 Port which will have enough power for the Hiusun. Some, including myself have had power issues with POE 15W max ports with Huisun PTZ
Thanks, this is important to know.

You may want to plan a camera (or 2) at the end of the driveway and bury that cable before the landscaping goes in. The driveway looks to be about 120-feet to the road? With a 30-foot drop over 120-feet, the last 3rd of the driveway (out to the road) may be isolated and you may want to monitor it in the future.
I think I could actually cover it from the second floor of the house if I need to, the entry area goes 27' off the ground, although I know cameras at a lower level are better.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.