Greetings

fusion

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just want to say thanks to everyone who contributes on this site. Definitely makes this site a nice resource for ip cams.

fusion

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! At this time no, but definitely shopping around to get a system set up. I'm still not sure if I want to go the NVR route or go with a PC setup.

SCR

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Fusion. I am new to this Forum as well. Like you, I came here looking for ideas. Here is what I have done.

I started out small using my laptop (a several years old i5 second generation chip) and Foscam fi9821p (v2) version 2 IP cameras. They are Plug-n-Play. Bought them direct from Foscam on their website. They matched the lowest internet price and if you buy from them they offer free set up if you can't figure it out, free telephone support if needed and a warranty. They are really simple to set up and use with BluIris software. You can download a free trial of BlueIris for your computer. I have not needed to contact Foscam for setup or support as they worked right out of the box. Sure you can pay more and get higher pixel count and all that. But do you really need it for a simple cam setup? These are remote pan and tilt with two way audio built in. You can hear whats going on as well talk over the system. They will work great on your current wifi. No ethernet cables needed. If you need weather proof cameras they have those as well. There are lots of cameras out there. I let my budget be my guide. Two are indoors and the one outside is protected from the weather. Ran all three of these off the laptop and wifi with no problems. I am now expanding to five cameras and going to POE (power over ethernet) for all the cameras. Going to incorporate the ones I have now and add two more. Got some good ideas on this forum and went on ebay and found a new HP optiplex desktop with a 4th generation (Haswell) i5-4590 chip for under $350. When looking into a new computer be sure to look past the "i5 or i7" part as some of the older ones (like my laptop) are using outdated chips. Look for a chip starting at least with the number four. Like i5-4570 or i5-4590. They are out there, just keep watching the auctions, be patient and don't over bid and you will find what you are looking for.

For me starting out using the computer and wifi I already had answered a lot of my questions and helped me decide on IP with computer or NVR. Kept the cost down until I decided which way to go. Expanded as budget and time allowed.

As others have said, advice is cheap. I found it helpful to hear what others have done and what is working for them. Take everything with a grain of salt. In the end, do your homework, don't over pay, and enjoy the adventure.