Group triggering

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I started a new thread because my question is different - does BI work by having one camera triggering the rest of those in the group? Or, can any camera in the group trigger the rest in the group? I currently have continuous video and a jpeg a second storing to an external hard drive, and motion triggering an email alert each camera alone, but I don't understand how the group thing works - one cam in the group triggers all or any cam in the group triggers all?

Also, I assume I need to set the motion to trigger the group on that tab, and then under alerts, have the cam fire when triggered or by group?

Thanks!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can have it either way and in between...this is what i mean..say you have 5 cameras in Group A, if you want any camera to trigger all the cams in the group then in each camera's motion tab you select "trigger motion groups"...if you only want say camera 1 and 3 to trigger the group, then select that option only in camera 1 and 3.

FIN13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok and then for alerts do I choose fire camera upon motion and group? I am wondering if a cam is triggered by motion on its own and also by a group cam if it overloads or which one takes precendence? Maybe whichever happens first?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok and then for alerts do I choose fire camera upon motion and group? I am wondering if a cam is triggered by motion on its own and also by a group cam if it overloads or which one takes precendence? Maybe whichever happens first?
Its not going to overload...the choice is up to you...depends on how many alerts you want to receive...

FIN13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am wondering if I need to designate an alert folder for these or can all snaps go into my new folder then storage?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I need to designate an alert folder for these or can all snaps go into my new folder then storage?
by defaut snapshots go to the alert folder and video will go to your new folder.

FIN13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is camgirl8888 but somehow posting under my old forum name fin that I forgot so re-registered. All of my snaps and videos are in my new folder. Is there a way to have a separate folder for each cam? Aftrt 24 hours I can get over 200,000 files in the folder

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the camera properties, Record tab, then change the "Folder and filename" option to include a folder path. For example &CAM./%Y%m%d_%H%M%S

Also, saving one jpeg frame every second is not an efficient use of space, and as you have noticed it creates a tremendous number of files. Windows is really slow at dealing with that many files. If you let this go on for very long, you might not even be able to open the folders containing the jpeg images, and deleting them could take hours or days.

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Actually my system is ok with the snap a second and continuous video, usually under 30% cpu resources and this computer is dedicated for the cams only. I have them stay one day on my internal c drive and then storage goes to a 2 tb usb drive.

I am not sure how you do the &CAM./ macro - for example if my tb drive is my G: drive, would I enter &CAM./G:/STORAGE?

CamGirl8888

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I read this in the instructions several times but am still unsure of the format. If I want each cam to post video and pics to its own folder, would I do it like this: &CAM./G:/STORAGE

"If you add &CAM\ the camera will have its own folder. Although not recommended, it is also possible to specify an absolute path here.

IMPORTANT: You must always retain the "&CAM." (note the . as well) at either the beginning of the filename segment of the path or at the end (".&CAM")--the software uses this to identify clips recorded by a particular camera."

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
From the main Blue Iris Options, Clips and archiving tab, you can define any folder you want. Then from the camera properties, Record tab, you can choose the folder you defined earlier in the dropdown box.

FIN13

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I could use one of the drop down aux folders in the clips and archiving tab for a particular cam and then choose it on the recording tab?

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I realise this is a very old thread but on a similar subject.

I have a camera named Gate and I'm using Car.%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%t.&CAM but this doesn't seem to get picked up in the list of files on the BI5 main screen for the camera Gate.

If the cameras short name was car then it would show.

I understood it's supposed to work at the end. When you input the location it won't let you if you don't have the &CAM. at the beginning or .&CAM at the end.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got the following reply from Ken;

'The filename should either have text at the beginning and numbers at the end, or the opposite, but NOT text on both sides.'