Guidance for upgrading Hikvision Darkfighter PTZ Firmware

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please can anyone reassure me that I am doing the right thing regarding firmware?

I have looked through a load of previous posts, and have gleaned a lot of useful info, but just wanted to double check before I proceed.

I have a camera I bought from eBay…a Hikvision Darkfighter PTZ DS-2DF8223I-AELW…which is on an old firmware…v5.3.12

I would just leave it, but the ability to change tilt angle (so it will tilt 20 degrees upwards) was not added into the UI until firmware 5.4.0 – I really need it to tilt upwards as it is replacing another cheaper one that did tilt up – so there are now areas I cannot ‘see’.

I understand from previous posts that it is advisable to upgrade firmware in steps? So don’t go straight for the newest…go for the oldest new one first, and step through them?

The oldest one on the HikvisionEurope.com portal is 5.4.0 therefore presumably I should start with this one – I don’t know where I might find any older than this (but newer than 5.3.12)?

The serial number contains CCWR which matches the other camera I have which I bought new from a UK installer, so I assume these are both the same Europe/World region, and this is not a Chinese model.

So…just wondered if anyone can confirm that this is the correct approach and mention any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

I have upgraded a few Hik PTZ’s before with no issues, but did not realise the number of problems people have until reading posts here, and I also found some posts from people who managed to brick this model when they updated firmware, so just trying to be really careful!

I will report back to say how it went for future reference.

Thanks for any comments!

Cheers

Tim

timb999

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I plucked up the courage to do the upgrade (to 5.4.0) and all went well - nothing exploded, it all behaved immaculately :)

I now have the features I wanted so will probably just leave it on this version unless I notice anything else missing.