Guidance on 5xIP PoE Camera Setup w/ Night vision & audio

CitenX

n3wb
Reaction score
<TLDR> I want to set up a 5 x IP camera security system for my wife's business, interior only. I have the following requirements:
-PoE
-1-way audio
-night-vision
-motion-based recording (alerting is useful bot not a deal-breaker)
-Smartphone app OR ONVIF capable for (re)viewing remotely

I'd like to keep it to about $100/camera or $700 total for a system. Can anyone recommend or endorse a product or brand? I literally can't find anything with that feature-set and price-point through normal retailers (Amazon, Newegg, Tigerdirect, Bestbuy). Normally, no audio is the missing feature. I'd LOVE to buy this stuff local so if something goes wrong I can return it easily, so big-box like Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc.
</TLDR>

Reason & Dimensions: I need to monitor student activity and audio for security purposes. The cameras need to cover one 20x30' waiting room, one 15x20' waiting room, one 30x20' activity rooms, and one 10x40' hallway. Viewing angles are ideally close to 90 deg. Light is overhead florescent. I don't really need more that a week or two of video online, and I think 720 is an okay enough resolution.

Background: I currently have 2xFoscam FI9821p (one DOA), more for a test implementation. I have no power runs in the locations these cameras are going, so I got a PoE injector hub, ran CAT6 to the locations, and, after plugging the little bastard cameras in, found that I needed a power splitter. The business-end of the whips I bought were too big, so I spliced the end from the included adapter into the end of the whip, plugged it in and POP went the camera :sad2:. Apparently the whips are designed for the adapter to be plugged in to the end so the power is already stepped-down, not native PoE (I'm sure there were a lot of eye-rolls there; my bad!). I'm so fed up now that I don't even care I'm out a camera. The Foscam viewer app won't load on either of our phones (Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6s), so the one I do have working (ugly, heinous, long extension cord) can't be used.

So I'm on the prowl for a new setup. I'm in the IT trade, so I'm comfortable making port-forwards and DynDNS so my wife can load the cameras on her app from anywhere. Also, I can get a NAS for the cameras to write to, or set up a Samba/NFS cloud repository, so I don't necessarily need a NVR as long as the cameras support remote-writing. I'd like an all-in-one solution so I can plug it all in and be done, but everything I've found has some major drawback. I like NETGEAR's Arlo smart-home, but it's proprietary and the batteries need replacing every 6-months.

Any product/brand people can recommend? What about an enthusiast website with best-of-breed setups and typical pitfalls? I've found IP Cameras here and here but the quality seems dubious at best. I should also say this sysyem from Zmodo seems great, but lacks audio, and is only 4 channel.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...
1) toss the foscams in the trash.
2) dont even consider the zmodo
3) The arlo system is terrible for many reasons, 1) it does not record pretrigger frames because its activated by pir motion and not always on. 2) the batteries will never last 6 months in a business...limited recording storage, monthly fee...inability to display cams on a monitor in real time 24/7.
Look at cameras from hikvision or dahua..read the treads here about US region vs china region.
You may want to reconsider the audio, in most states that would be illegal....

CitenX

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...
1) toss the foscams in the trash.
2) dont even consider the zmodo
3) The arlo system is terrible for many reasons, 1) it does not record pretrigger frames because its activated by pir motion and not always on. 2) the batteries will never last 6 months in a business...limited recording storage, monthly fee...inability to display cams on a monitor in real time 24/7.
Look at cameras from hikvision or dahua..read the treads here about US region vs china region.
You may want to reconsider the audio, in most states that would be illegal....

Great! Thanks! I'm glad you expanded on the Arlo system. I had feelings it was too limited.

I live in NY; not sure if anyone knows the legal particulars. I was under the impression that recording was okay as long as the parties knew they were being recorded. I'll follow up on the legal issues.

I saw a camera by Hikvision, model DS-2CD2135F-IS. Any thoughts on that model? Any better reseller than Amazon?

Also, I see there are many software suites available for ONVIF. Does anyone have any strong opinions about one suite over the other? Finally, Apple-compatible mobile apps?

Thanks again for the guidance!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...I saw a camera by Hikvision, model DS-2CD2135F-IS. Any thoughts on that model? Any better reseller than Amazon?...
That is most likely a "Chinese market" ("CH" in the serial number) camera which brings with it a host of issues you should be familiar with before you purchase. You'd be better off with a "Western Region camera ("WR" in the serial number).

in addition, imo you'd be better off with Hikvision 3mp or 4mp turret style cameras, and probably with 2.8mm lens.

I would suggest you contact milkisbad and solicit his advice and ramp your budget to $1,000.00.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The thought just came to mind, if you'd like to try a reasonably inexpensive camera (but still a quality camera in my opinion) you may want to try out one of these 2-packs...

http://www.costco.com/.product.100146709.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-CategoryTopProducts&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|CategoryTopProducts

The upside of these units is that they have a FOREVER RETURN POLICY. The downside is that there are 4 mm lenses, not 2.8 mm lenses. In addition, I've had better results with the Hikvision "EXIR" turrets. However, how could you possibly go wrong if you wanted to just give them a try and see if they meet your requirements.

Install the demo version of Blue Iris on a reasonably modern PC (to use as an NVR) and you will start to refine your requirements with up to zero financial exposure.