H.265 alert playback - Hardware accelerated decode

Reaction score
Hi, I have four Dahua cameras:
  • Model: IPC-HDW5231R-ZE
  • FW: 2.622.0000000.31.R, Build Date: 2018-08-13
  • BI: 5.2.7.12
All of the cameras have H.265 set with smart codec off in their respective settings page. In Blue Iris, all cameras have "Hardware accelerated decode" set to "Default".

With these settings, all but one camera can playback recorded alerts. If I change the problem-camera to "Hardware accelerated decode" = "No", the camera plays back alerts without issue.

Is there a setting somewhere that is overriding the default for this one camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is in the global setup with the default HA is set to.

Many people have had issues with H.265 - it could be a graphics driver issue or CPU issue or even a BI issue.

I would try a reboot of the cameras and a stop and restart of BI and see if that fixes it. If not, then either accept that one of the cameras cannot run H.265 or try to track down the issue. I suspect it is an issue with the number of H.265 cams. If you turn off H.265 on all but the problem cam, does the problem cam work then? If so, then something is limited in what it can process.

Reaction score
I just checked the "Hardware accelerated decode" in the global BI settings, and it is set to "No".

This particular camera was the first I set up, so perhaps at that time, the global default wasn't "No". I'll try re-adding the camera and see if that cleans it up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Weird - so if it is set to "No", then the default setting is No. That is suggesting it is another issue.

Reaction score
Weird - so if it is set to "No", then the default setting is No. That is suggesting it is another issue.
Exactly. I don't know if the Default value is being read from the global settings, or if it is stored from the initial setup. My guess would be the former, but other settings I have checked between these cameras are the same.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess try a reboot of the computer - I had a different issue with BI recently in that I noticed when I did the override of a global schedule for a particular camera that it stopped working. I deleted the camera and re-added and still didn't work, so I did the "when in doubt, reboot" and it started working. I am guessing something go hung up in Windows or BI.