H.265+ playback problem using direct-to-disc - best alternative

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Didn't find a post that quite nails my query.
I started another BI system, just now for 6 cameras. When re-encoding in BI, the hard drive space is gobbled and CPU load is 53%. With these cameras I don't need alerts + rectangles and so it dropped to 28% with direct to disc (mixture of 5 & 8fps and around 2Mbit/s).

I set three of the cameras to H.265+ (Dahua SD59225U-HNI, H.265 smart codec ON) to limit the bit rate - the cameras are connected to BI via broadband.

I want the best video quality I can have, viewing the recorded clips at up to 256x. Unfortunately, it seems that H.265+ playback is intermittent at 4x and freezes at 16x - 256x.

So what's the best compromise to have the best quality high speed smooth video playback without reducing the frame rate - either H.264H in the cameras and halving the bit rate back to the H.265+ rate of 2Mbit/s with direct to disc or H.265+ in the cameras and re-encoding in BI with H.264?

The PC is an i5-6500 3.2GHz with only 4GB RAM. Would H.265+ accelerated playback work with much more RAM?

Will also add a further three cameras soon, all with H.265+ capability.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't find a post that quite nails my query.
I started another BI system, just now for 6 cameras. When re-encoding in BI, the hard drive space is gobbled and CPU load is 53%. With these cameras I don't need alerts + rectangles and so it dropped to 28% with direct to disc (mixture of 5 & 8fps and around 2Mbit/s).

I set three of the cameras to H.265+ (Dahua SD59225U-HNI, H.265 smart codec ON) to limit the bit rate - the cameras are connected to BI via broadband.

I want the best video quality I can have, viewing the recorded clips at up to 256x. Unfortunately, it seems that H.265+ playback is intermittent at 4x and freezes at 16x - 256x.

So what's the best compromise to have the best quality high speed smooth video playback without reducing the frame rate - either H.264H in the cameras and halving the bit rate back to the H.265+ rate of 2Mbit/s with direct to disc or H.265+ in the cameras and re-encoding in BI with H.264?

The PC is an i5-6500 3.2GHz with only 4GB RAM. Would H.265+ accelerated playback work with much more RAM?

Will also add a further three cameras soon, all with H.265+ capability.
h.265+ is proprietary....try h.265...

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Many thanks Fenderman. Yes, h.265 seems to fix high speed playback. Also, what I hadn't noticed before is that switching the camera's h.265+/smart codec on or off makes no difference to the maximum bit rate setting that's available in the camera (CBR, I frame 2x fps). Nor do I see any change in the direct-to-disc CPU load (static scenes). So I'm now tempted to ask 'what benefit?'

Hello drunkpenguin. I'm pleased you' were not too drunk to send a reply. I'd forgotten about hardware acceleration on this new system and will give it a go.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Snag drunkpenguin - switching from h.265 to h.264H doubles the bitrate. This would saturate the broadband network and I suppose half the number of recorded days of recorded footage. I guess I'll stick with h.265.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Snag drunkpenguin - switching from h.265 to h.264H doubles the bitrate. This would saturate the broadband network and I suppose half the number of recorded days of recorded footage. I guess I'll stick with h.265.
Note that it will use more space but would not saturate your network...

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello again fenderman, sorry for not being more specific - The cameras are in four separate locations 4, 7, 12 and 50 miles away from the Blue Iris server so I was referring to their broadband lines and not a local network. Additionally, I'm around 60 miles away from this BI server and connect via LogMein. I've now set up and support four BI systems, only one of which is at my home.

I am still interested to know if Dahua's h.265 smart codec has been found to have benefits. Do you suggest I start a new thread under Dahua's hardware section?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again fenderman, sorry for not being more specific - The cameras are in four separate locations 4, 7, 12 and 50 miles away from the Blue Iris server so I was referring to their broadband lines and not a local network. Additionally, I'm around 60 miles away from this BI server and connect via LogMein. I've now set up and support four BI systems, only one of which is at my home.

I am still interested to know if Dahua's h.265 smart codec has been found to have benefits. Do you suggest I start a new thread under Dahua's hardware section?
it should have benefits if using a dahua nvr...your question is irrelevant because blue iris will never support a smart codec that is specific to dahua...