H264 codec missing -- reinstall (30) in BI 4.1.0.3

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have 4 Dahua cams, the latest 2 were recently added.
These 2 camera's show an error in the logs that I haven't seen before.

All 4 have the same settings, but the new ones show errors about missing H264 Codecs...
They still record and stream, but moan about the missing codecs.
I found this while searching for 'unexpected software restarts'.

Any ideas on how to fix this? 8-7-2015 10:45:21 camname: Clip: H264 codec missing -- reinstall (30)

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would recommend installing the K-Lite Codec pack. The K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of Codecs needed for encoding and decoding many different audio and video formats including H.264. I have used it for many years without any problems with Dahua and Hikvision cameras and Blue Iris DVR software.

I would recommend installing the Standard or Full version from http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm.

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
:rolleyes: uhm..... yep, that would help, quote: 'if you hear hooves, don't think Zebra' I reinstalled this server from scratch and installed only what's needed..... but not the codec pack !
I'll let you know if it works!

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed the Standard version, but unfortunately the errors don't go away.

Edit: After a full restart the errors have not been showing for at least an hour, when these cams are recording, so yes, it probably was the codecs that I forgot to install.

1 error after 1 hour: H264 Codec missing. Only on 1 camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed the Standard version, but unfortunately the errors don't go away.

Edit: After a full restart the errors have not been showing for at least an hour, when these cams are recording, so yes, it probably was the codecs that I forgot to install.

1 error after 1 hour: H264 Codec missing. Only on 1 camera.
That is odd. Does the 1 problem camera work for a while or kick up this error immediately? Can you compare the video main stream settings in the problem camera to another same make camera? I would look at the video encoding type in the Hikvision or Dahua and see if they are different.

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
I have uninstalled BlueIris and reinstalled from scratch. Same issue, all Dahua camera's....
I also keep having 'unexpected restarts'. I think it's time to email Bi Support.

NetEyeD

n3wb
Reaction score
At the end it turned out to be a very simple and much overlooked issue.
Powersafe on the external disk.... it took too long for the disk to start up after a period of no activity, causing the issues.
I have selected 1 camera that records non-stop so the drive stays active and all issues were gone.