H265+ and Pre-trigger video buffer

nicopolous

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been using BI for years with no problems and it's worked perfectly for me - using 3x Foscam cameras. These all use H264. I just added a Hikvision camera which I'm really pleased with. I've set it to use H265+, and the stream works OK, BI displays and records with VERY low bandwidth. HOWEVER: I use BI motion detection and have pre-trigger video buffer set to 15s on all cameras and this works perfectly on the others. With the new camera on H265+ for most motion detection, it is sometimes missing the start of the motion completely and records much later than it should - e.g. after a car has passed the camera. Sometimes it works as expected and records 15s before the motion.

I think it's related to H265+ and the infrequent reference frames so that BI can only start recording at set intervals, which is why it's not starting recording as expected. I have 32GB RAM and plenty to spare, and the video is all direct to disc.

Anyone else seen similar issues with H265+ ? I'd like to use it as the reduction in bandwidth is amazing.

Thanks!

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have the i-frame interval set to the same as the FPS on the new cam/?

nicopolous

n3wb
Reaction score
On my camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I) you can't change the i-frame interval if it's using H265+.

On a side note (now I'm using H264), is it good practice to set the i-frame interval to the same as the FPS?

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The frame rate and Iframe should be the same value. This will give you a full frame once every second. Play back can not start unless on a full frame.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
On my camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2143G0-I) you can't change the i-frame interval if it's using H265+.

On a side note (now I'm using H264), is it good practice to set the i-frame interval to the same as the FPS?

Thanks!
265+ uses a variable iframe interval and that is why it cannot be set and why its not compatible with blue iris.
You can use 265. Blue iris will not begin recording until a new iframe is sent by the camera.