Hacked Dahua cams with NVR5216-16P-4KS2E

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
By 'hacked' do you mean changed from Chinese to English language firmware or do you mean exploited by a vulnerability in the device?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
By 'hacked' do you mean changed from Chinese to English language firmware or do you mean exploited by a vulnerability in the device?
He means the Hacked up firmware, Seems Dahua USA and some International models are rejecting the Re-worked Chinese to English firmware Cameras. This has been going on for about a year or so perhaps longer. This is not New News but Andy is Reminding the group here to be careful when purchasing "Cheap Ali and Amazon Models. If you read the postings of these sellers you can usually find a caveat in the listing about "Firmware can NOT be upgraded".

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes Chris is right, dahua also try to solve these hacked cams, so add something on its NVR this year.
Hi Andy,

Do we know what methods they are using to prevent these cameras from accessing the NVR?

Do we know if their method impacts ONVIF cameras from other brands?

If not, then perhaps the hacked cameras can be set as ONVIF to get it to work?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
This move Might be Intentional on Dahua's part because of all the bad press on their marketing and security OR the people who are cooking the firmware missed a step. I know we here a LOT about Mac Addresses and S/N being kind of weird on some of the cams and perhaps the NVR's have some kind of check or table to reject the chinese S/N's . I'M NOT a programmer so just a guess on my part, Could this be possible ?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Blocking chinese market cameras from working on non-chinese-market NVRs is certainly intentional on Dahua's part, but I'm pretty sure it's for marketing and sales purposes. Contrary to other opinions, my observation is that the chinese market cameras (the ones I have at least) are every bit as functional, capable, and reliable as their international counterparts that use the same image sensor. They can also be had for about half the price of their international counterparts, and I think that became too well known and was cutting into dahua's revenue. There's an ID somewhere in the camera's PROM that says what market it's for, and that's what stops international market camera firmware from running on the chinese market cameras. Going back a couple of years, the sellers of the chinese market cameras hacked the chinese market firmware's UI to use english. Thanks to the work of a clever forum member I've been able to load my chinese market cameras with international market firmware that ignores the camera's region ID. I'm suspecting that some of the sellers of chinese market cameras have picked up this same firmware.

The question I'd like answered is if the NVR with newer firmware would reject my chinese market cameras running international market firmware. I haven't been willing to upgrade the NVR's firmware to find out because I possibly wouldn't be able to go back. To answer this for myself I'd need to find an NVR with the camera-rejecting firmware and try one of my cameras on it.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My Amcrest cameras work fine with Dahua NVR and Dahua NVR works fine with Amcrest cameras. I've tested this personally and no problems. Guess my setup isn't "hacked" setup. :)