Happy New Year and Looking for Input

Reaction score
Hi all - Happy New Year! I'm new to the board and doing some quick market research for a client. All answers will be confidential. Would appreciate answers to these 3 questions:

1. What is the biggest surveillance problem you're trying to solve in 2017?
2. How do you typically research the answer to your questions?
3. What type of information could a vendor provide to solve that problem?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I use cameras and sensors to provide security to my home. Here's answers, from my personal perspective.

1. Self monitoring. I have a monitored alarm. I don't want pay for video monitoring. I want to know when someone approaches my home. The conventional alarm systems become active after the house has been breached (after the fact).
Self monitoring, by me, means a big problem is dependable alerts. (minimal false alarms) While not missing legitimate "events"

2. Research on this forum. Tap into experienced and knowledgeable folks. Priceless. Researching on the general web uncover a) firms pitching their solutions w/ marketing spin and scant technical details, b) firms selling hardware, c) misinformation.

3. Provide detailed technical info for the DIY community. Examples. Case studies. pros vs cons. Honest assesments of features, eg: facial detect is effective only in x, y, z limited applications, and not effective in many applications. eg: explain how to pick the right lens. eg: guidance on how to pick cam form factor - there's a valid reason for the wide variety.