Hard Drive Failure Notification

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've read many a post/recommendation, to have 2 hard drives and split the cameras between the two, in order to ensure at least some video capture coverage in case one hard drive fails.

Is there software or other, that can notify me of a hard drive failure or failing hard drive? My NAS will do this. But what about the drives in a Blue Iris PC? If I get a notification of a failure/impending failure, then I can take action to fix the problem rather than discover, too late, that the drive failed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Raid for video is pure crap. Have you ever tried to recover a raid while the system is in use. Raids double the amount of writes. Do a search on the forum for raid.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Raid for video is pure crap. Have you ever tried to recover a raid while the system is in use. Raids double the amount of writes. Do a search on the forum for raid.
I don't think it would be best practice to recover any damaged RAID array which was still in use. Doubling the writes is only an issue if the controller can't handle it and we have not been advised of the subject system scale. With disks so cheap a simple mirror might have satisfied the OPs concern in an alternative way, however you clearly disagree... and so politely.

Reaction score
I've read many a post/recommendation, to have 2 hard drives and split the cameras between the two, in order to ensure at least some video capture coverage in case one hard drive fails.

Is there software or other, that can notify me of a hard drive failure or failing hard drive? My NAS will do this. But what about the drives in a Blue Iris PC? If I get a notification of a failure/impending failure, then I can take action to fix the problem rather than discover, too late, that the drive failed.
Open the BlueIris Status window, then click on Status Alerts.. Put a check mark in "Send only if there are new" then put a check mark in "Warnings", "Errors", "Software Restarts". Then click on "Action Set" and configure it to send you an email. If one of your HDD fail BlueIris will have some sort of error message and you will get an email alert.