Hardware acceleration options

AdySan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So this is what the wiki says

Hardware acceleration

If your CPU supports Intel® Quick Sync Video, then you can use hardware acceleration in Blue Iris to reduce CPU usage with any camera streaming H.264.

This is controlled by a single setting. Open Blue Iris Options, then on the Cameras tab, find Intel HD hardware acceleration. Choose the option "Yes (H.264)". Restart Blue Iris for this change to take effect. If you are running Blue Iris as a service, you will need to restart the service, or just restart the entire computer.

But I don't see this option, I see Intel and Intel+VideoPostProc and Nvidia CUDA. I have an Intel i7-8700, what should I choose?

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
AdySan,
The option H.264 disappeared with recent update. I leave Intel on mine and I did not see any difference since I don't have any dedicated graphic card in the BI system with i5-8600K.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In BI there is also "Hardware accelerated decode" in each Camera Properties-Video tab. Do you also select Intel for each camera?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The way it works is there is the global hardware acceleration choice in Blue Iris Options > Cameras. That affects all cameras that have "Default" chosen for "Hardware accelerated decode in Camera Properties > Video. You only need to change it from "Default" if you don't want it using the hardware acceleration type that was selected globally in Blue Iris Options > Cameras.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The way it works is there is the global hardware acceleration choice in Blue Iris Options > Cameras. That affects all cameras that have "Default" chosen for "Hardware accelerated decode in Camera Properties > Video. You only need to change it from "Default" if you don't want it using the hardware acceleration type that was selected globally in Blue Iris Options > Cameras.
I have an EliteDesk G1 with i5-4590 and when I enable Hardware Acceleration it appears that it disables Continuous Recording if recording BI DVR format. In the attached I have the DriveWay hardware acceleration enable and do not have it enabled on FrontDoor. You can see the FrontDoor is recording, the DriveWay is not. I assume that is because I have the File (container) format set to Blue Iris DVR. The DriveWay does record with hardware acceleration enabled when I switch to MPEG-4 format, but I can't view that format while it is open for recording. Also can't access it in the UI3 while it is recording. Is that a limitation of Hardware Acceleration or am I doing something wrong?

upload_2018-9-19_14-31-17.png

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good to know it should work. I will look for something wrong in my settings. My CPU is only about 20% without acceleration so it is not a big concern to me right now. I just thought I would try enabling it and see if it made a difference. Unfortunately the only difference was it stopped recording.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't updated BI lately you might consider doing so. The latest version (4.8.0.1) has been stable for me. There's no telling what kind of bugs you might have if you are on an old version.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you haven't updated BI lately you might consider doing so. The latest version (4.8.0.1) has been stable for me. There's no telling what kind of bugs you might have if you are on an old version.
I was at 4.7.9.1 and just updated. Didn't resolve the issue, so something else in my settings I am sure. Thanks-