Hardware recommendation for 18 Cameras

Cliff

n3wb
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning out an install in an office building that has 18 cameras. Currently, we have 18 Hikvision 3MP HD cameras (HIDS2CD2134M). I've done a setup in the past with 6 of these and we used a VM running windows 7 running on HyperV and it worked great. This project, I am looking at purchasing new hardware and am looking for preferably something that can be rack mounted. I've read that you get more benefits with acceleration or something if you use an i7 intel processor. So before I commit to any hardware, I figured I'd post and ask.

While I already have camera's, my needs are for a POE switch and a designated server. What recommendations would work best with the 18 cameras I've already got?

Last edited:

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DWW0311

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am in the process of planning out an install in an office building that has 18 cameras. Currently, we have 18 Hikvision 3MP HD cameras (HIDS2CD2134M). I've done a setup in the past with 6 of these and we used a VM running windows 7 running on HyperV and it worked great. This project, I am looking at purchasing new hardware and am looking for preferably something that can be rack mounted. I've read that you get more benefits with acceleration or something if you use an i7 intel processor. So before I commit to any hardware, I figured I'd post and ask.

While I already have camera's, my needs are for a POE switch and a designated server. What recommendations would work best with the 18 cameras I've already got?
If you are determined to rack mount, I'd suggest the DL160 g9 series. Dell PowerEdge is a little behind the curve with respect to processor implementation. It really depends on how deep your rack is. Most rack mounted servers won't fit in those wall-mounted racks - they're not deep enough front to back.

For switches, I'm a Cisco guy, so I'd recommend the WS-C3560G-24PS-S. 24 gigabit PoE ports, 2 SFP gigabit ports and you can usually find them used on eBay for less than $150.

spinrut

n3wb
Reaction score
I went with
Dlink websmart
Amazon.com: D-Link WebSmart DGS-1210-28P Ethernet Switch: Computers & Accessories

or easy smart depending on my needs

Amazon.com: D-Link EasySmart 24-Port Gigabit Switch with 12 PoE+ Ports (DGS-1100-24P): Computers & Accessories

websmart supports more vlans and power than easysmart, but also costs a fair bit more

The big thing about these switches for me is that I can toggle ports individually via the web interface. That's a feature I didn't see on a lot of other switches (either didn't exist or had to toggle all PoE ports at once)
if you watch them on amazon, the prices on them swing every now and then. I'd suggest using camel camel camel to tell you when prices get lower (for any items, not just these)

Last edited:

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I purchased this switch and so far is it working great, but the fans are a little louder than I would like for my home office:

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch, LED Indicators, 370 Watt Power Budget, Rack Mountable with Hardware Included, TPE-TG240G: Computers & Accessories

Going to try to find a quieter fan solution that keeps the unit just as cool. If your scenario at an office this may not be an issue.
Since posting this, I replaced my switch due to the noise from the fans. The fans on the Trendnet seemed to always run at 100% and sound like a jet taking off.

I replaced it with this Ubiquiti unit that has a lot more power and is silent in my 12U rack 99% of the time:

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES24-500W 24 port Gigabit, 500W, Managed PoE: Computers & Accessories

It is more expensive, but the management controls are a nice convenience and it supports up to 34.2W on any port.