Has anybody built or bought a fan cooled cabinet for their NVR?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just trying to deal with the noise from my Dahua NVR and thought that I might try build an acoustically insulated closed cabinet, with super quiet fans, in order to try reduce the overall noise output from my NVR.

Has anybody made a unit, or bought something off the shelf quite cheaply and modified it to suit?

THanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tks. I was thinking of getting an old filing cabinet. Drilling two 120mm holes on it for fans. Then line the inside with pyramid foam. Any thoughts?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
pyramid foam just cuts down on echo/reverb, it does almost nothing to actually sound proof anything.. you need density for that, and if your DIY or on a budget you'll find wood hard to beat.. plywood lining it would be more effective.

or you could just replace the fans in your Dahua NVR w/Silent ones

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've never seen or heard of anybody replacing the fans in the Dahua NVR. Is it difficult job?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not at all, take the cover off.. plug it in, find the noisey problem fan.. unplug power, remove fan, measure it, find a replacement and put it in..

i think they may be 5v though, if you can only find a 12v replacement you can get a power splitter for the hdd and power the fan that way.. if you wanted you could probably put a fan controller inline and drill a knob out the front to controll the speed manually.. otherwise some 12v fans may operate at 5v, just at a slower speed.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr. I have not moved into the new house yet. Have the NVR beside me here, but haven't plugged it in yet! I know it will need to be dead quiet due to the location beside the bedroom, hence my question. I am always a bit apprehensive about Chinese products due to the poorly written manuals. The manual states: "DO NOT APPLY POWER TO THE NVR BEFORE COMPLETING INSTALLATION". I have no idea what this means????

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they mean dont apply power with the thing half taken apart heh.. you gotta open em up to install a HDD.

its safe to run it with the cover off though, presuming you dont spill your coffee inside.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI: I've helped install a couple of security cam systems with NVR's. Three of the NVR's were Hiks, and one was a LaView (rebadged Hik)
None of them could be heard from 3 feet away.
Dahua's may or may not be different.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just ran it the NVR now. The noise isn't actually that bad! I will see how it goes when fitted and take it from there. thanks again.