Have different settings for day and night modes?

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Im new here so please be gentle :)

Ive delved into the CCTV world and after lots of reading and reviews i have plumped for a DS-2CD2342WD-I Turret and a DS-2CD2042WD-I to watch the front of my property.

I have set them up where i want them and have them connected to a Synology DS415+ Survielance Station (although ill say im not overly impressed with Surv Station at all!, but thats a different matter)

Now im lost in the configuration world and the wealth of settings that i dont understand. HA.

So issue 1 that im asking you guys help with is day and night modes.....

Currently i have left it set to automatically switch modes when they deem its time, however at night the live view is very dark, so i adjusted the Brightness to 100, Contrast to 25 and Saturation to 0 which makes it bright enough to be able to make faces/intruters viewable, however it of course during day mode makes my picture black and white!

Can i ask for help please on setting the cameras up so at night i can have the brightness whacked up and contrast + saturation down but in the day have completely different settings so its in colour, and still be able to leave it auto switching so i dont have to change the manual switch time every month or so as it gets lighter later.

Thanks in advance for your time

Regards

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Generally the defaults all round would work pretty well and not need much tinkering.
Unless there is something in the view that's bothering the settings.
How were the images when you first activated the cameras?

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
Very happy with the day time images

Night time however really dark and cant make much out.

Ill take some screenshots of day and night mode with the default settings today and with the settings i currently have them on and upload them later on tonight so people can visually see.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ill take some screenshots of day and night mode with the default settings today and with the settings i currently have them on and upload them later on tonight so people can visually see.
That can really help to provide useful feedback.
Night time however really dark and cant make much out.
These 4MP cameras don't have great low light capability, so some supplemental IR lighting may be required.
Presumably the night-time images are B&W and not colour?
And the IR is enabled? You can see the red glow if you look at the camera.
If the view has a bright reflection, such as a white wall, and 'Smart IR' is enabled, the camera may turn down the IR output.
If Smart IR is enabled, turn it off, see if it makes a difference. But if there is strong white reflection messing with the automatic exposure, the view would need to be changed.

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes night is B&W
IR is enabled i believe, both cams have red emitting from them.

Smart IR is presuambly "Smart Supplement Light" ? If so thats OFF on both cams.

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont see any setting for Smart IR

I have these settings:

Image Adjustment
Brightness
Contrast
Saturation
Sharpness

Exposure Settings
Iris Mode
Exposure Time
Gain

Day/Night Switch
Day/Night Switch
Sensitivity
Filtering Time
Smart Supplement Light

Backlight Settings
BLC Area
WDR

White Balance
White Balance

Image Enhancement
Digital Noise Reduction
Nosie Reduction Level

Video Adjustment
Mirror
Rotate
Video Standard
Capture Mode

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're wasting a lot of screen real estate pointing the camera at your house. Have you considered getting a lower FoV to see better detail of the driveway instead of the house?

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
I brought the 4mm DS-2CD2342WD-I Turret on the advice of the Hikvision reseller i brought them from after sending in images and dimensiosn of the front of my house and was advised to position it where it is for a drive overview.

Im not overly happy with it getting so much of the house but i cant make it any better, ive spent hours up the ladders trying, any advice welcomed.

Basically my aim was to have the turret installed on the soffit like it is to give a complete overview of the front, including walking up to the front door, but also get most of next doors drive is so it protects the bullet where it is from somebody sneaking up th eside of it to rip it off, and then the bullet to look after the drive/cars/walkway to the front door in greater detail.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
that second camera is going to give you trouble the way its aimed. you cant have the walls of your house in half the image. its going to cause a lot of IR to bounce back at the camera, and wash out the image. try adjusting it to the left to get more of the street, and i bet the driveway will become more clear. (this is in night mode im speaking of)

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
Ill try adjuting the turret at the weekend further out on the road.

thomo

n3wb
Reaction score
So here are the same images at night:

DEFAULT SETTINGS:

CUSTOM SETTINGS OF:

BRIGHTNESS 100
CONTRAST 0
SATURATION 0
SHARPNESS 50

Everything else default settings

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
See how your window is bright but everything else is dark? Point the camera away from the wall, you're wasting half your LEDs on a wall instead of stuff you want to record.

bobbear

n3wb
Reaction score
The hikvision IP cameras are great value for money, (I've got dozens in use - been using them for years). Personally I prefer the bullet cams, (DS-2CD2055FWD-I for example), to the turret cams. They do however have a few basic limitations in my experience. They suffer a bit from spurious internal reflections, especially from car headlights. That brings me to usage - I use some of my cams for number plate recognition, (NPR), at night and for that, the best setup in my experience is with WDR on and set to 100 and a fast shutter speed set, (up to 1000), but that affects the brightness and contrast settings so that brightness has to be set on or near zero and contrast c.20-30. However that works great at night purely for NPR, but is useless during the day and so we come to the biggest limitation - no separate day and night image setting tables that are automatically selected by the relevant camera mode. I get around that by simply having two cameras looking at more or less the same scene, one with NPR night settings and one with day settings, but it's a shame to have to do that.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Im new here so please be gentle :)

Ive delved into the CCTV world and after lots of reading and reviews i have plumped for a DS-2CD2342WD-I Turret and a DS-2CD2042WD-I to watch the front of my property.

I have set them up where i want them and have them connected to a Synology DS415+ Survielance Station (although ill say im not overly impressed with Surv Station at all!, but thats a different matter)

Now im lost in the configuration world and the wealth of settings that i dont understand. HA.

So issue 1 that im asking you guys help with is day and night modes.....

Currently i have left it set to automatically switch modes when they deem its time, however at night the live view is very dark, so i adjusted the Brightness to 100, Contrast to 25 and Saturation to 0 which makes it bright enough to be able to make faces/intruters viewable, however it of course during day mode makes my picture black and white!

Can i ask for help please on setting the cameras up so at night i can have the brightness whacked up and contrast + saturation down but in the day have completely different settings so its in colour, and still be able to leave it auto switching so i dont have to change the manual switch time every month or so as it gets lighter later.

Thanks in advance for your time

Regards
On a real computer, study this: Cliff Notes.
As others have said, you have WAY too much of the house in the picture.
Upload your pictures directly to here, they are barely view-able the way you have them now.

bobbear

n3wb
Reaction score
As others have said, you need to point the camera away from any nearby obstruction as firstly it is wasteful as it is and secondly it just reflects way too much IR back into the camera. But from the images there is a more fundamental problem - the images are very low resolution, (the file size is only 10-15kB), so either something in the system is reducing the image resolution or the images are derived from the low resolution camera Sub-Stream instead of the high resolution camera Main Stream. Either that or they are simply defocussed due to a camera fault.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The hikvision IP cameras are great value for money, (I've got dozens in use - been using them for years). Personally I prefer the bullet cams, (DS-2CD2055FWD-I for example), to the turret cams. They do however have a few basic limitations in my experience. They suffer a bit from spurious internal reflections, especially from car headlights. That brings me to usage - I use some of my cams for number plate recognition, (NPR), at night and for that, the best setup in my experience is with WDR on and set to 100 and a fast shutter speed set, (up to 1000), but that affects the brightness and contrast settings so that brightness has to be set on or near zero and contrast c.20-30. However that works great at night purely for NPR, but is useless during the day and so we come to the biggest limitation - no separate day and night image setting tables that are automatically selected by the relevant camera mode. I get around that by simply having two cameras looking at more or less the same scene, one with NPR night settings and one with day settings, but it's a shame to have to do that.
There is no benefit to the bullet over turret. The bullet will have way more spider web issues. The 2055 is terrible in low light and at night compared to the hik low light cameras.