Have you been successfully terminating solid core CAT5/6 with RJ45?

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been doing a good bit of reading lately on the practices of terminating CAT cables. The general consensus from the networking guys is that solid core CAT cables should never have a crimp style RJ45 installed. Regardless if it is made for solid core or not. Their position is that solid core should always be terminated in some sort of IDC punchdown (keystone jack or new field terminated RJ45s). The case is that the crimp RJ45s are often not successful and when they are the performance is poor.

What has your experience been like with crimp RJ45s? I am currently installing my Dahua cameras and I would really like to preserve the weather-tight gland if I could but I do not want to sacrifice performance or cause POE issues.

I'm thinking about going with these: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Tool-Free-Termination-Connector/dp/B074HG7SQN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=field+rj45s&qid=1557179474&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Any thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been doing a good bit of reading lately on the practices of terminating CAT cables. The general consensus from the networking guys is that solid core CAT cables should never have a crimp style RJ45 installed. Regardless if it is made for solid core or not. Their position is that solid core should always be terminated in some sort of IDC punchdown (keystone jack or new field terminated RJ45s). The case is that the crimp RJ45s are often not successful and when they are the performance is poor.

What has your experience been like with crimp RJ45s? I am currently installing my Dahua cameras and I would really like to preserve the weather-tight gland if I could but I do not want to sacrifice performance or cause POE issues.

I'm thinking about going with these: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Tool-Free-Termination-Connector/dp/B074HG7SQN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=field+rj45s&qid=1557179474&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Any thoughts?
That is complete BS. It works just fine. It is the industry standard. If they cannot properly crimp rj45 to cable they need to find a new profession.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

I'm thinking about going with these:
Any thoughts?
Hi @Cocktail

So, why the network guys do not want to see solid core cat5e/6 crimped with RJ45:
Potential breakage of the wire due to solid wire being more brittle than stranded copper, thus why they want patch cables with stranded copper wire. ( with enough moving the cable around there is a decent chance of breakage.. with CCA it is very high as Aluminum is very brittle - thus why you want to avoid CCA in addition to the issues with carrying power )

This makes sense in their data centers.

For us, once we plug the cable into the IP PoE camera we're not going to touch it. So thus the chance of breakage is significantly reduced.

For me this is what I did:
The cat6/5e cable on the camera end got a RJ45 plug, on the "switch" end I terminated it into a nice patch panel.

Works well.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with the prior posts. I'm an amateur and have crimped about 100 monoprice with inserts rj45s to solid wire. No problems with any of them, except messed up one and had to do over. I question if a shielded rj45 will fit inside the gland on the camera pigtail. The unshielded rj45 is a very tight fit.

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @Cocktail

So, why the network guys do not want to see solid core cat5e/6 crimped with RJ45:
Potential breakage of the wire due to solid wire being more brittle than stranded copper, thus why they want patch cables with stranded copper wire. ( with enough moving the cable around there is a decent chance of breakage.. with CCA is is very high as Aluminum is very brittle - thus why you want to avoid CCA in addition to the issues with carrying power )

This makes sense in their data centers.

For us, once we plug the cable into the IP PoE camera we're not going to touch it. So thus the chance of breakage is significantly reduced.

For me this is what I did:
The cat6/5e cable on the camera end got a RJ45 plug, on the "switch" end I terminated it into a nice patch panel.

Works well.
@mat200 and everyone else, thank you for your input.

Mat you are right about the desire for patch cables. Those networking guys love premade wires. That just isn’t feasible in my applications, especially now that the wiring has been ran. My current plan is to terminate in a keystone patch panel. The confusion/angst was coming from what to do on the camera end. I haven’t seen any cable analyzer data on the validity of crimped rj45s nor do I have the experience with these things. Hence why I am reaching out. What I do have experience in is roasting my ass off in the attic for the past few days. I don’t want to do that again and if their is a best practice I’m all for it. Platinum Tools appears to make quality RJ45 jack and crimper, I’ll give them a look.

Agree with the prior posts. I'm an amateur and have crimped about 100 monoprice with inserts rj45s to solid wire. No problems with any of them, except messed up one and had to do over. I question if a shielded rj45 will fit inside the gland on the camera pigtail. The unshielded rj45 is a very tight fit.
I haven’t experienced any issues inserting Ethernet cables into the Dahua female ports during testing. Is your concern that the shielded RJ45 will be a bit larger?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
... What I do have experience in is roasting my ass off in the attic for the past few days. ..
Indeed @Cocktail !

We've all been there at some point in this game, thus why I am now a major fan of N+1 cable pulls and conduit - less number of times I return to a hot attic or dusty crawl space, the happier camper I can be!

I like to use junction boxes as that allows me drill a small hole and push the bulk cable out into the junction box and thus I can terminate the cable while outside in the fresh air instead of in the attic.

Note - recommend practicing a couple of times before getting up on a ladder and attempting to do this.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven’t experienced any issues inserting Ethernet cables into the Dahua female ports during testing. Is your concern that the shielded RJ45 will be a bit larger?
From the picture in the amazon link in the first post, those connectors sure look big to me. I'm just speculating. Haven't used an shielded connectors myself.

Reaction score
We terminate Cat6 on RJ45's all the time for AP's or camera's at work. We try to always terminate to jacks but sometimes not feasible. No issues what so ever terminating to RJ45. We test and certify Cat6 certification on every termination.
Just ensure the jacket material is far enough in to be crimped and all 8 copper wires are engaged with the pins.

Cocktail

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the picture in the amazon link in the first post, those connectors sure look big to me. I'm just speculating. Haven't used an shielded connectors myself.
I bought some today because of you comment and I’m curious. I have a bad habit of doing that. When they come in I’ll let you know how they fit.

We terminate Cat6 on RJ45's all the time for AP's or camera's at work. We try to always terminate to jacks but sometimes not feasible. No issues what so ever terminating to RJ45. We test and certify Cat6 certification on every termination.
Just ensure the jacket material is far enough in to be crimped and all 8 copper wires are engaged with the pins.
Which RJ45s and crimper are you using in your field?

Here’s some background on the modular plugs for those interested. The rise of modular plug terminated links

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have not had any problem with my Cat6 23AWG cable. I am using the Klein crimping tool and RJ-45 connectors I bought at Home Depot.

Reaction score
I bought some today because of you comment and I’m curious. I have a bad habit of doing that. When they come in I’ll let you know how they fit.

Which RJ45s and crimper are you using in your field?

Here’s some background on the modular plugs for those interested. The rise of modular plug terminated links
The "Ideal" crimpers (below) are what we use at work for the smaller telephone RJ-11 and larger computer RJ-45.
We use the non feed through design to prevent external conductor/device shorting and RF signal leakage Unsure if it truly matters because at times we have certified Cat5e jacks, patch panel, patch cords, RJ-45's for Category 6 certification. Doesn't hurt to be sure and go all out Cat6 as the price difference is maybe 2 cents.
Ideal Ratchet Telemaster Crimp Tool for RJ-11/RJ-45 Modular Plugs-30-696 - The Home Depot
crimper.jpg

Last edited: