having some fun with illegal dumpers

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We observed these two guys dumping some chairs and tables into one of our customer's dumpsters, behind their shopping plaza. Normally we don't mind, as long as its a few small things and doesn't fill up the dumpster. Usually, people just throw everything on the ground near the dumpster, so we are thankful when the trash makes it in the dumpster. It this case, these guys filled the dumpster and left no room for our customer to put their trash, which is a problem. We were able to catch the plate number and get the owner's info. We called him and asked him politely to come back and take his stuff back or we were going to make a report. After a short temper tantrum, he agreed and returned with in 30 minutes to take his stuff back. It is always good to be on this side of the camera.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny. I once owned a business that folks from the nearby subdivision thought it was ok to use my dumpster. Became a fairly regular problem. So I started taking 30 seconds to open the bags, and find their address. On my way home, at 1am, I'd stop by the offender's house, and put their bags from the dumpster on their front yard. Stopped 'em. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny. I once owned a business that folks from the nearby subdivision thought it was ok to use my dumpster. Became a fairly regular problem. So I started taking 30 seconds to open the bags, and find their address. On my way home, at 1am, I'd stop by the offender's house, and put their bags from the dumpster on their front yard. Stopped 'em. :)
We had a family friend who electrified the dumpster he and a couple neighbors shared with a pretty powerful fence charger to keep the bears out... one night he hears a scream followed by a car door slam and speeding off. No more illegal dumping :) He also had some nice photos of a mountain lion on his porch.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
These are the 3MP 2.8mm HikVision terruets that go to a 7716 NVR, which we are really impressed with. They are about a year old. We have two HikVision 1.3MP PTZs on opposite corners of the building also.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Always love love watching your videos. Did you get the plate off that video or another camera? I can only make out what looks to be an A.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
In this case, we were able to zoom in with a ptz on the property. This is a plaza that we monitor 24 hours a day. Thieves have accessed the roof and stolen the air conditioners and refrigeration units that are on the roof, on two separate occasions. This took place before we were contracted by the owner. The plaza was being secured by a security guard company back then. Apparently they didn't see anythIng the process of dismantling the units and dragging them to the edge of the roof where they were dropped, they also damaged the roof membrane. The units alone cost the owner about $100,000 each time and the roof repairs were even more than that. They didn't know that the roof was damaged until rainy season. Water leaked into the stores and did even more damage in side. Our first protocol here is to protect the property from theft, including the roof. Our secondary protocol is to control homeless activity, vandalism, illegal dumping, etc..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In this case, we were able to zoom in with a ptz on the property. This is a plaza that we monitor 24 hours a day. Thieves have accessed the roof and stolen the air conditioners and refrigeration units that are on the roof, on two separate occasions. This took place before we were contracted by the owner. The plaza was being secured by a security guard company back then. Apparently they didn't see anythIng the process of dismantling the units and dragging them to the edge of the roof where they were dropped, they also damaged the roof membrane. The units alone cost the owner about $100,000 each time and the roof repairs were even more than that. They didn't know that the roof was damaged until rainy season. Water leaked into the stores and did even more damage in side. Our first protocol here is to protect the property from theft, including the roof. Our secondary protocol is to control homeless activity, vandalism, illegal dumping, etc..
Holy rooftop ripoff Batman! That takes some doing, most roof top units are the size of small cars. Paid security guard sitting in his car, for the most part is usually a joke.

Great job @bababouy. I've shown some of your videos to family members that continue to have their heads stuck in the sand, and believe that stuff like you've shown us doesn't happen. Thanks for sharing.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great job, Just amazed you got it resolved in half an hour.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Holy rooftop ripoff Batman! That takes some doing, most roof top units are the size of small cars. Paid security guard sitting in his car, for the most part is usually a joke.

Great job @bababouy. I've shown some of your videos to family members that continue to have their heads stuck in the sand, and believe that stuff like you've shown us doesn't happen. Thanks for sharing.
These guys spent some time on the roof taking everything apart. They only took what they could scrap and left the rest. Thanks for the compliment again.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Great job, Just amazed you got it resolved in half an hour.
When the owner of the truck realized that we had his info, including his tag, he complied. We may have given him two options also, 1. go pick the stuff up, 2. we will pass his info and the video over the the authorities if he decided not to go with option 1. Option 2 usually speeds things up. We wanted to give these guys a chance first.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
just out of curiosity @bababouy what VMS do you guys run?
We use quite a few different VMS's. If a new customer needs our service and already has a system in place, we generally adapt to their system. Most management softwares are made to manage several devices from one place, but are not necessarily made for monitoring the way we do it. We use Exacq Vision, Avigilon, GeoVision's VMS, etc, but these are really made for management. We have the best luck with the simple ones like Smart PSS and HikVision's iVMS. Sometimes simple is better and when we start from scratch with a customer, we prefer to use Dahua equipment and Smart PSS. All the fancy cloud based options, subscriptions, and license fees don't catch bad guys, they just suck money out of your pocket.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I say good work I still question and I know the answer of how you were able to obtain the info on the plate that fast which is one of two ways and IMO it wouldn't be worth the headache is said douche bag pushed the issue and was smart enough.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I say good work I still question and I know the answer of how you were able to obtain the info on the plate that fast which is one of two ways and IMO it wouldn't be worth the headache is said douche bag pushed the issue and was smart enough.
His company gets paid to "push the issue".

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What they were doing is against the law. He was pushing the issue as it should be.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In Texas I use publicdata.com for plates, DMV, and criminal records. No PI license required. The information isn't real time and can be stale by a few months but works good enough for me.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
in most states licensed private investigators can either access or request records from the DMV. All he has to do is keep one on the payroll.
Im well aware of the laws of PI's.... Im also going to keep my two cents to myself on it except one day it will come back around when questions and legalities come up and they always do eventually.

Two each is their own i guess

Last edited:

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What they were doing is against the law. He was pushing the issue as it should be.
Just in case your forgot with your silly response dumping is not the crime of the century and lets not forget PI's are not law enforcement officers therefor they have no legal right to be enforcing crime prevention period. If he wants the issue push a simple call to the police would have worked just fine. they would have talked to said individual set the record straight and end of issue. There are far better tactful ways of handling things then playing secret squirrel taking it into your own hands. Lucky for him the individual wasn't very intelligent