HDMI extension

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
My inquiry is not inspired by IP cams, but I am sure folks here have employed the use of hardware to extend an HDMI feed. I am going to add a second TV in another room that will be fed by the cable box about 50 feet away. Over the last couple years, I've been adding coax and ethernet (CAT6) drops as the need presents itself to a DMRAC in the basement. Both the remote TV and the cable box locations now have Ethernet and coax in place.

I've been reading positive things about Kanex equipment (Pro HDMI Extender Cat6 Video Converter-EXT-HD60M). Just curious about what others have used, and/or steered clear of.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the 120 meter version of that blackbird extender for $120 back in September from this listing. It has been feeding a 4k 60hz (4:4:4 chroma) signal over cat5e from my BI server to a TV in my office.

It has been perhaps 98% reliable... I put the monitor to sleep many times daily and only twice in about two months has it failed to wake up properly. One of those times was literally a minute ago.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score

Attachments

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of these many years go, shortly after Digital came out.
We used a bunch of these to feed movies and advertising in Dr offices, you could easily run 4 in a daisy chain.

I use one for BlueIris at 1080p, and second on the streaming device (switch between 2)

Now they make a Petit model that is cheaper and easier to set up. Have not tried one.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far.

For those of you leveraging the use of CATx cables, are you cross patching at a panel, or is the link a single cable?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I always recommend Vanco products for hd modulators (hdbaset). It includes infrared (ir) control over the same cat (both ways: source/display). Depending on your configuration, you may need an hdmi splitter (1-IN/2-OUT), or look for an unit with include an hdmi loop at the transmitter (sender). As Tiggerwillo1 recommended, Monoprice is a good source for this kind of products (cheaper than Vanco)