HDMI output distorted or no signal from NVR

Discussion in 'NVR's, DVR's & Computers' started by tne7laa, May 15, 2018.

Share This Page

1. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

I having problems with an NVR (from AliExpress. Yes I know it’s cheap):
    8CH CCTV H.265 NVR Board 4K/5MP/4MP HI3798M Security NVR Module 4CH 5MP / 8CH 4MP XMEYE P2P Mobile Monitoring Cloud Viewing-in Surveillance Video Recorder from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    The problem is that the monitor don’t get any signal or the video signal is distorted. I have tried multiple of things:
    - bought an more powerfully power adapter 6A
    - tried another HDMI monitor/TV
    - disconnecting al other peripherals like HD, USB
    - reset device
    NVR is connected with HDMI to DVI connector on monitor.
    If I lower the resolution to eg 1280x1024 I get the following signal. YouTube video:

If I set resolution higher like 1920x1080 I don’t get signal and monitor goes in sleep mode. NVR has an option to display in 4K but can’t use this.

Any thoughts?

2. alastairstevenson

alastairstevenson Known around here

That's a convertor? Could that be the cause of the problem?

marku2 likes this.
  3. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

The monitor has no HDMI port. It is a simple plug:
    https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ad8473c7fbe72bf59f125fed58fc08d0-c

I had no problem before using it.
    I also have tried to connect to 4K TV with HDMI connections. In the beginning when I just bought it it could also display 4K. But after a week or so the problems did begin. Now on TV no signal at al.

I always thought that with digital ports it would give 2 options: no signal or signal. Not in between.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. Excalibur

Excalibur n3wb

I have a Viewsonic monitor that "goes to sleep" if I attempt to set nvr with 1920x1080 resolution. Looking at monitor spec it only goes to 1440 × 900. Could this be your problem also?

tne7laa likes this.
  5. bababouy

bababouy Getting comfortable

Those old Dell monitors were the cats meow when they came out and they last forever. I would say that its your cable, although I have seen where the hdmi jack on the recorder is flimsy or doesn't make a great contact with the HDMI cable. Can you try using a VGA cable between the NVR and monitor?

tne7laa likes this.
  6. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

Thanks for input. Today I took the NVR with the more powerful adapter (6A) again to the basement and attic. Used it once more on the 4K Sony TV. With only hdmi cable. This time I could get a steady picture. Also I could get the NVR in 4K mode. Sharp picture. ;-) So that works.
    In the basement I connected via the hdmi to a HD Ready tv (720p). No picture and no signal.
    Back to my Dell 23” monitor with hdmi-dvi plug. Same story as before; a distorted picture with blackouts. 1440x900 is maximum what I can get with this nvr setup apparently. Monitor can go to 1920x1200 with a vga from my laptop.
    Setting the nvr to 1920x1080 the monitor gives me an on/off sleep signal. But it does says that there is a signal.
    Sadly this nvr has only a hdmi output and no vga. (My old nvr did have one).

I have tried also one of my other cables: hdmi-dvi but does not give me a signal. Only the hdmi-dvi plug does.

Maybe the only solution is to buy an monitor with hdmi in but that is not sure and costs a lot of money...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

7. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

Could be. See my answer below.

8. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

Nvr does not have vga. Only hdmi.

9. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

10. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

Go with active adapter; VGA is analog and HDMI is digital so a simple passive one doesn't always provide what a VGA monitor needs if any one input for a component is marginal.

I'd pay a tad more, get audio jack and get it quicker (if you're in U.S.) ==>> here.

tne7laa likes this.
  11. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

I just ordered an active HDMI to VGA adapter. Hope this will solve my problem.
    Otherwise I have to buy a new monitor...

TonyR likes this.
  12. Excalibur

Excalibur n3wb

I received my NVR just a few days ago. According to listing pics it was equipped with hdmi only but it came with vga as well. This time it worked out nicely as I really didn't have a spare hdmi monitor.

Can you borrow a hdmi monitor to help eliminate/isolate/diagnose the problem?

13. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

The OP said earlier ".......Today I took the NVR with the more powerful adapter (6A) again to the basement and attic. Used it once more on the 4K Sony TV. With only hdmi cable. This time I could get a steady picture. Also I could get the NVR in 4K mode. Sharp picture. ;-) So that works."

14. tne7laa

tne7laa n3wb

I will let know what the result is when the HDMI to VGA converter is delivered.