HDMI over IP

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am bidding a job at a condo complex. There is a guard shack about 600' away from the high rise building were the NVR will be place. There will be 2 cameras on the guard shack. I will use a radio to get the signal back to the NVR. They also want a monitor in the guard shack. There is no internet in the shack. has anyone had any luck with HDMI over IP? If possible I would like to go this route since I will have a switch for the cameras and radio in the guard shack. As a last resort I could send internet through the radio and log on through a web page but the management really does not want internet in the guard shack. any ideas would be helpfull!

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You won't need internet to give NVR network access at the guard shack. Install a small switch or use a secondary port on the radio and have the guard shack computer on the same network. Use the NVR local IP on that computer. Factor in bandwidth requirements for radios with this in mind.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Strange, this is twice in one day I've said this:
"I don't use an NVR, I use Blue Iris on a PC with a POE switch, so by no means am I your NVR expert. Having said that and you held a gun to my head and said "gimme an answer" I would....."

• Use a relatively cheap, 4 channel, non-recording, non-POE NVR in the guard shack.
  • Power the cams with a POE switch.
  • Put the cams, the NVR's LAN port and both radios all on the same subnet with static IP's, all run to the POE switch.
  • Have a monitor and a mouse on the NVR for the guard.
  • Back at the high-rise, put the radio and the recording NVR's LAN on the same subnet as above with a static IP and stream each cam to it.
  • To be sure, use static IP's that are outside the router's DHCP pool, just in case the high-rise NVR's LAN is ever connected to the Internet for remote (away from the high rise) access.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I am bidding a job at a condo complex. There is a guard shack about 600' away from the high rise building were the NVR will be place. There will be 2 cameras on the guard shack. I will use a radio to get the signal back to the NVR. They also want a monitor in the guard shack. There is no internet in the shack. has anyone had any luck with HDMI over IP? If possible I would like to go this route since I will have a switch for the cameras and radio in the guard shack. As a last resort I could send internet through the radio and log on through a web page but the management really does not want internet in the guard shack. any ideas would be helpfull!
@Flintstone61 by all accounts does a good job in his condo. He's getting good results see the catalytic converter threads. I'm not sure if he has a remote guard house though.

Any Ideas?