HDMI to new 4k TV with HDMI ARC = NVR ISSUE

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hope this is not an Off-Topic" post but it is an odd thing, rather long due to the explanation. I'd like to know if anyone else has had this happen.

NVR stops functioning when connected via HDMI "CEC" to a Smart Sony TV and Denon Reciever.

Gear:
Hik NVR 8 port POE - 2 Hikvision cameras
NEW Denon x1400H Receiver
NEW ony X9003e TV

I had my NVR and Cameras running for a few years with issues with my older Yamaha Receiver and a Panasonic Plasma that did not have what is referred to as HDMI ARC / CEC. (In case people don't know what that is, it refers to the ability to return audio and device control data via the HDMI cable BACK to the receiver and to any devices that have HDMI connections to the AVR, such as BluRay players, Cable STBs, and Gaming consoles. I only learned all of this when buying the new TV and Receiver.)

I just finished installing the new TV and Denon AVR (Receiver) a few days ago. I of course over the past few days have made various adjustments to a lot of things on the new TV to get things working and setup. It can be complicated... It took a few days to understand where all the settings are on the TV and the Receiver and how they work, (still not 100% sure :) ) Mainly the HDMI "CEC" (Bravia Sync) where the TV remote can control the other devices. I have that working as it should. Everything was good.

I have the NVR going into the Receiver via HDMI as before and the Receiver hooked to the TV via HDMI as before. I had tested all inputs on the TV, and saw the NVR on the TV when setting it up but did not navigate to check features. Just verified I saw the NVR when switching inputs.

Yesterday I noticed I was not getting alerts today from my NVR and Hikvision Cameras.

Got home and had been assuming that my ISP had changed my IP address. I first logged into the AT&T router to look, but that was the same.

So I then switched my new TV to the NVR input and I saw nothing.

I then thought it might be a resolution issue and that the new TV was unable to display the NVR output.
I did not know where or how I could alter the resolution on the new TV, and didn't have another monitor or computer to use to display the NVR. So I thought "I'll connect to the NVR and see if I can change the output resolution" I figured I try that via IVMS.

I tried connecting via IVMS locally on my WIFI and via my phone via DATA (External). Nothing.
IVMS Locally showed only "Embedded NVR" on the left menu rather than my cameras.

IVMS via phone/DATA could not find the server (IP address)
Still thinking the NVR might be outputting a signal but I just can't see it on the TV, I was going to yank a little Vizio I have off a wall and try hooking up to that.
I pulled the HDMI cable and pulled / inserted the power on the NVR and rebooted while I shuffled about before I went and got the TV.
I stopped to check the laptop I had IVMS open on before going to get the Vizio and I saw the normal view and the cameras listed . ? . I was able to select them and view them as is normal.

I then went back to the NVR and plugged the HDMI cable back in. The NVR output appeared on the TV . ? .
I waited a few seconds and tried navigating on the TV. After a few clicks the menus stopped responding.. I went to IVMS and on the laptop I got "Network Abnormal" after a click on a camera.

I repeated this a few times. With the HDMI cable attached the NVR seems to stop working. I also do not see any events full a full day in the Logs indicating the NVR was not operating while it was connected to the TV/Receiver..

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems pretty simple. Your NVR does support backfeeding and shuts down when it happens. Just my opinion.

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks.. are any other users using an HDMI connection to a Smart TV / Receiver combo with CEC with an NVR?

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put my NVR on a HDMI switch that supports PIP function. Cost was about $25. My setup is Dish to Yamaha to the Switch to the TV. Other than lack of PIP size/location it seems to work great.

^2cents

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you do that to make it work as expected? Or was there some limitation to the inputs/outputs of your AVR that made you use a switch?