HDW2231R-ZS dead on arrival

Jason H

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post :)

I bought the above on AliExpress, but I think its dead as a door nail:-

With known working cables and POE adaptors (the ones I usually use for a Ubiquiti Nanostation, but I've tried several), the network cable light does not come on on the router to indicate a physical connection, and I can't reach it at 192.168.1.108 (via the config tool, web or ping) - same subnet of course.

There is nothing from the device to indicate that it is receiving power over ethernet. Should there be a power led?

Any ideas? Can/should I open a dispute on AliExpress when the goods have arrived but appear dead?

thanks, Jason

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Why a dispute, normally you’d contact the seller to both let them know and seek advice?

Reaction score
I cringed when I read this. I have a 24v Ubiquiti AP, and sending 24v to something designed for af is quite likely to cause damage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, first post :)

I bought the above on AliExpress, but I think its dead as a door nail:-

With known working cables and POE adaptors (the ones I usually use for a Ubiquiti Nanostation, but I've tried several), the network cable light does not come on on the router to indicate a physical connection, and I can't reach it at 192.168.1.108 (via the config tool, web or ping) - same subnet of course.

There is nothing from the device to indicate that it is receiving power over ethernet. Should there be a power led?

Any ideas? Can/should I open a dispute on AliExpress when the goods have arrived but appear dead?

thanks, Jason
Welcome @Jason H

This is a fairly typical issue with those who have Ubiquiti products which use non-standard PoE.

Jason H

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all. So the camera specs at IPC-HDW2231R-ZS say 12V, 802.3af.

Now you guys have pointed it out, the Ubiquiti POE adapter is 24V (0.5amp) :-( Do you think I fried the camera when I plugged it into that?

I did try a 12V 1amp POE adapter, but no sign of life.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks all. So the camera specs at IPC-HDW2231R-ZS say 12V, 802.3af.

Now you guys have pointed it out, the Ubiquiti POE adapter is 24V (0.5amp) :-( Do you think I fried the camera when I plugged it into that?

I did try a 12V 1amp POE adapter, but no sign of life.
Hi @Jason H

It is possible... also try getting power to the barrel connector when testing.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think using a 24v PoE source is going to do any harm.
It won't be enough to activate the class-determining handshake process and is way less than the needed 48v.

I don't know what you mean by "12v PoE adaptor'.
You need to try a 12v power supply on the barrel connector, or a proper PoE source.

Jason H

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh, where the spec sheet says "Power Supply DC12V, PoE (IEEE802.3af)(Class 0)" I read that as meaning it gets 12V over PoE. Now you point it out, I see 802.3af is 48V

Great, I'll try a proper PoE source. thanks again gents.

opus too

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ahh, where the spec sheet says "Power Supply DC12V, PoE (IEEE802.3af)(Class 0)" I read that as meaning it gets 12V over PoE. Now you point it out, I see 802.3af is 48V

Great, I'll try a proper PoE source. thanks again gents.
Welcome to ipcamtalk! This is one of the things where probably a bunch of us newbies got confused. Hang around, you'll learn all kinds of stuff. :)
John