HDW5231R-ZE Question

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one of the Dahua HDW5231R-ZE units and I'm experiencing an issue where if someone walks past or a car drives across the field of view, at some point in the travel, the camera freezes motion and stops audio for a moment and then continues picking up again wherever the subject is when the cam recovers. This is inconsistent as well, doesn't always happen. But, quite often.

It does this on live view in the browser, as well as Blue Iris. Oddly, pretty sure I saw it happening once on the browser live view and Blue Iris was working proper. But they both do it I see usually in tandem if I'm watching both views. CPU isn't getting too high. Memory use is low

It is now on the most current firmware (and that did not fix it), and I have used default settings initially, as well as settings I am currently using for other HDW5231R-Z units (the earlier version that is functioning appropriately). I have other cams of this model elsewhere, but they don't have that large of a field of view to display this issue (if they are even having it). I have a few HDW5231R-Z units in similar conditions and they are fine.

Any ideas as to any settings that I might look at that might have a hand in this? I've tried quite a view misc changes but I'm no pro with settings and obviously this cam isn't working with the settings the older version is.

Works well otherwise

Thanks!

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm, as of today, I see it's been cycling offline for 1-10 minutes with 18 no signals today per Blue Iris. May just be having a hardware issue. :(

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Andy, thank you for commenting.

I was planning to do a hard reset, but on your advice, I did that this morning. Left it at default settings, other than IP, network time and overlay, and password, It seems to be still doing the stop motion thing. I watch the clock overlay coming from the camera, and video and audio stops then jumps ahead, pretty consistently at 5 seconds, unless it does a shutdown and then it can be minutes sometimes 10.

Disconnects are showing up on the Blue Iris status page 5+ in an hour. But the camera is visually stopping much more frequently.

It's in a very protected area, well under a porch roof and never sees water, and temps have been mostly under 30 Celsius usually 24ish. temps don't seem to have a bearing.

I'm going to check voltages on power supply later and make sure it's getting sufficient power. Other cams are on longer runs, and are fine. All are 15-20 meters.

Thanks again :)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might also try pinging the camera from your computer and see if the ping starts dropping packets during the times where the motion is stopping. It kind of sounds like the cable might be causing packet drops/connectivity loss. Ping results might be able to help collaborate that.

Also just to be sure, for the hard reset, did you go through the web interface and do the factory reset option?

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using Fing on that network, no packet loss while it was stop motion. Other Dahuas on the network are at 2 average, 10 max ping. and not 423! I have not yet pinged it during a longer shutdown.

It was however doing the above stop motion/ audio issue on my desk with a pre-made cable and a local power supply that works other dahuas with no issue.

I unmounted the unit, opened it, and pushed the reset button for 60 seconds while it was powered up and online. Wasn't sure the time needed so I just gave it much more than I thought I remembered, lol. It certainly reset IP and other settings etc, so I guess that was appropriate time?

Thank you for the input, any comment makes me think it out more as to what I may be missing while troubleshooting. Appreciated!

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like your reset got it all, so that's good. Can always try the WebUI "factory" default option, but I don't think it would change anything, but who knows. I ran into an issue where I applied new firmware to a 5231 and didn't "default" it afterwords. I ran into similar issues .... motion was laggy and the camera would sometimes freeze for a bit. Blue Iris showed the camera was sending at a FPS much higher than what I had the camera configured for. Others were having this issue and Andy suggested reseting to factory default (using the WebUI), which solved the issue for me.

Also sounds like you've done the next recommended step -- try the camera inside with a pre-made cable that you know works... and the problem seems to persist. Hmmm. If the camera is still down, might be worth opening it back up and checking that everything's tight where the ethernet/power connect to the camera's board. That's a long shot, but I've seen it mentioned in some other posts.

Hopefully someone else with more ideas will pop in the thread here!

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Appears I've found the issue.... Which might be I'm just stupid, or careless.

But wait, there's more.............

Recently my router hiccupped and lost settings, it was storming that night so, maybe something to do with that. So, I halfassedly reset stuff in the middle of the night and forgot about it. And... not configuring the DHCP pool properly. So, somehow, it was assigning a new garage door opener (that I can't make static AFAIK), to the IP of that particular cam.... Not something I'd have really expected, but....

On Fing, I happened notice the Dahua cam ID and "MyQ" occassionally flickering back and forth on the IP in question, and MyQ wasn't on the network elsewhere. Hmm.... Conflict.

So.. End of the day, I set the router up a bit better, assigned proper DHCP pool in a safe range, and programmed most of the static IPs that I hadn't bothered to input. Cam seems fine now. I guess I'd have thought after misc power cycles DHCP would have sorted itself out but it was not.

We'll give it a bit, but I think this was my issue. :-/

Thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY and @aristobrat for taking time with me and offering your assistance.