Head Scratcher! I'm baffled and out of ideas....

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's the deal: I have three phones, one Iphone and two androids. The Iphone and Android work with the phone app and using the ipctddns through this site.

The two phones belong to a friend and I set them up for him a couple years ago. One phone is mine and I keep a copy of his server on my phone for troubleshooting when he calls on occasion with minor problems. The iphone belongs to his wife. Her app works.

He's a trucker and is on the road right now but complains his BI isn't working. He sent me a screenshot copy of his server setup and it's identical to what we have. He said at one time it worked but can't recall when it stopped working. I had him "Forget Server" and completely reload all information and then send me the screenshot. I double checked he's using the correct password.

Since he's on the road there's not much I can look at but assuming that BI is set up correctly, what phone settings could render BI inoperable? I know my phone (android) won't work unless I have cellular data on. His phone is an LG G7 thinq if anyone's familiar with that phone. His carrier is T-Mobile.

thanks
Bob T.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mobile device issues like these can sometimes be resolved by:
1. Removing the device from the server via the Blue Iris Settings > Mobile devices dialog,
2. Then re-registering the device by logging into the server anew from the problematic phone‘s Blue Iris app.
Attempting this will have to wait until he returns home, unless you or his wife can access the server to perform step #1, so he can try step #2 while on the road.

Tips...
BEFORE performing step #1: If your friend has customized his device & geofence settings, take screenshots of the device setting dialogs before removal.
AFTER performing step #2: If your friend is using a geofence, it may need to be recreated from the app.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uh Wow, too much coffee? Chill man.
There was no lecture. I was stating a fact. If BI auto update is on, which in lots of case's it is, then it may have updated and broken the settings.
I was on my phone, and kept it short.
Geez.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I think whether BI works or not from remote depends largely on which cell provider I happen to be connected through.
It's as if some ports are just not accessible when connecting from the cell network to my home (Comcast) IP...
then later, when i'm in a different location (and maybe connecting thru a differnt cell tower and possibly provider via roaming) it does work
Then again the system i set up for my sister across the country is always accessible (at a different port).

So maybe try a different port at the external IP for remote access, is what i'm getting at...

Last edited:

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Its in the blue bar at the top of the page, pay close attention to the Cliff Notes before asking the same questions that gets asked multiple times per day. Study and Plan before spending money. Forum search is your friend. Its at the upper right corner of the page. "

I know how to do a forum search. I do NOT have auto updates enabled, I have a prompt at startup. How is any of that above that's underlined helpful to a user asking a question here? Seriously?
"Search is your friend". How many times have you posted this generic message here in this forum? Seriously, I have a technical problem I need resolved and I don't need to go read wiki's or anything else. Forums are to share information and to obtain help. Your response isn't helpful at all. It's bureaucratic....

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In this particular case I have no idea what is wrong. The Blue Iris mobile app can be particularly frustrating. I suggest trying to connect to BI through a web browser and seeing what error message you get.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My iphone app won't connect to my remote BI but will at the house BI , it connects to home even when I am out and about but it won't connect to my other set up.
Also I can't connect remotely anymore from my home BI to my remote BI, I tried everything I could come up with.