Headlight Triggers

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been trying to see if there is a way to reduce the amount of triggers caused at night by headlights? Any suggestions? I have tried masking various areas which has cut down on the number of trigger events. I found out that I get triggers with reflection of headlights off vehicles in my driveway. I am learning a lot. I am really liking Blue Iris. Keep up the great work! Merry Christmas one and all!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its always a tradeoff, if you increase your thresholds you may miss motion...Its always better to capture too much rather than too little..
IF you are getting too many alerts on your phone..you can setup a cloned camera that only sends alerts and increase the threshold on that.

jasong127

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're asking the age old question of motion activated cameras.... the best solution out there is to install a standalone motion detector (like those used on security lights) and have that trigger the camera. Those are the only ones that are immune to lights.

Having said that, I don't use it. I agree with fenderman, way better to capture too much than not enough.

I assume you've already setup a day and night profile? If not, adjust the night profile down so it captures a little less. You'll still get triggers, but it should help. I've banged my head on the wall for years over this. Outside of an external motion detector, you're just going to have false alarms.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@jasong127 makes great point about the motion sensors...but at this time to use it with blue iris you would need a sealevel device...the other issue with a pir sensor is the distance and objects it can detect. I dont think they will detect cars well if at all (if that is important to you, i know in this application you are trying to avoid detecting the car :)) They may not capture you neighbors dog using ur lawn as a toilet and they certainly cannot detect at the distance some cams can capture...The cloned camera works wonders..

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You think headlights are bad, try snow!!! I wake up with 500 clips of snow falling!

Sabot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank goodness we don't have snow maybe once or twice a year. We complain when the temp dips below 60 degrees! Great points gents! As always, you provide awesome advice.