hello all, looking forward to picking your brains

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
I am a long time enthusiast of figuring shit out for myself. Tech stuff doesnt scare me it intrigues me. Im not an expert or even make a living doing it. But I believe knowledge is power and sometimes knowing who has the knowledge is the power. So hear I am .

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
well Tony then lets start with this. I installed a Kuna porch light cam( I know crap, but its for the wife and its our budget) the idea is great, the features are cool, Im having an issue with the live feed . It comes through as a partial green pixelated picture. I have an access point 2 ft away from the light. I cant get this thing to be consistent. any thoughts?

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well Tony then lets start with this. I installed a Kuna porch light cam( I know crap, but its for the wife and its our budget) the idea is great, the features are cool, Im having an issue with the live feed . It comes through as a partial green pixelated picture. I have an access point 2 ft away from the light. I cant get this thing to be consistent. any thoughts?
Hi pdaddy

Have you checked the Kuna wiki / forum?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's corruption in the codec most likely. I assume you are viewing this with a phone? Could be the phone can't handle it, or the app needs updating.

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
That's corruption in the codec most likely. I assume you are viewing this with a phone? Could be the phone can't handle it, or the app needs updating.
yes on viewing on an Iphone as well as a android based tablet. Its intermittent but very frustrating. I will attempt up dating t he app. So with t hat would that rule out a faulty unit?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes on viewing on an Iphone as well as a android based tablet. Its intermittent but very frustrating. I will attempt up dating t he app. So with t hat would that rule out a faulty unit?
Hi Pdaddy,

Could also be a faulty cloud service... too many potential failure points with wifi cloud dependent cameras.

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
another door.png front door.png another door.png front door.png
Hi Pdaddy,

Could also be a faulty cloud service... too many potential failure points with wifi cloud dependent cameras.
would that be the case though with the LIVE FEED? because the recordings are perfect and even recordings during a time I know its failing on LIVE FEED.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would that be the case though with the LIVE FEED? because the recordings are perfect and even recordings during a time I know its failing on LIVE FEED.
Hi Pdaddy68,

Live Feed of cloud dependent cameras still go up to their servers... so yes, it is still another potential failure point.

This is one reason to avoid cloud dependent cameras, as you can eliminate a few failure points ( Router, ISP, cloud service provider ).

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks, here’s an update. Took the cam back got another hoping it was the cam. Same issue,is there any way this could be a router setting issue? I’m seeing your point on the cloud based cams , I just really love the features of this thing for my wife’s sake. The alarm the two way communication the preset messages. And ease of use for her.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...... I just really love the features of this thing for my wife’s sake. The alarm the two way communication the preset messages. And ease of use for her.
And for YOUR sake...there's something to be said for keeping her smiling..."Happy wife, happy life" as they say! :D

EDIT: I may be wrong, but I think this important component is called "WAF" in this forum (Wife Approval Factor).

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks, here’s an update. Took the cam back got another hoping it was the cam. Same issue,is there any way this could be a router setting issue? I’m seeing your point on the cloud based cams , I just really love the features of this thing for my wife’s sake. The alarm the two way communication the preset messages. And ease of use for her.
But if it's not reliable, it will frustrate and annoy her.....which will trickle down to you. ;) Ok, maybe flood is a better term than trickle. ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi pdaddy,

So here's my take on the cloud stuff...

1) 1st get something super reliable for what your needs are: Security Alarm System, Security Camera System - on-premise, non-cloud dependent. ( can use cloud just does not depend on it working )

2) If you want to throw in some additional items which are cloud dependent to augment your setup - fine. Yes it will cost more - but normally if you're only adding a couple items many people seem to be OK with some small service fee. Some people just really love their mobile apps and cloud dependent products, and I understand that - unfortunately they simply are unreliable and not fit for purpose as security camera systems due to
A) Unreliable. B) Often poor image captures, getting better now. C) Often lacks embedded time stamps - causing the introduction of them as evidence to very often be successfully challenged by the defense lawyers and thrown out of court. ( recent post on this topic at SDs in an Arlo thread )

This way you can get a reliable setup for your critical needs, and get something for who like this cloud dependent stuff they can have some of it.

Personally I want minimal cloud dependency due to reliability and long term cost issues, but I can see how some like it.

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
But if it's not reliable, it will frustrate and annoy her.....which will trickle down to you. ;) Ok, maybe flood is a better term than trickle. ;)
well I may not get this Kuna to work but at least I am getting sound marriage advice:).
Okay mat200 I'm listening, so help me out here. I like the ability of KUNA to talk to someone and listen, I like the alarm feature and the pre recorded messages as well as the light control. I have 5 cams wired into a Nightowl system with a DVR and it has a pretty limited app. It functions for the most part . Without breaking the bank whats available to add to get me those features I like about the KUNA. I have Ethernet to my DVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well I may not get this Kuna to work but at least I am getting sound marriage advice:).
Okay mat200 I'm listening, so help me out here. I like the ability of KUNA to talk to someone and listen, I like the alarm feature and the pre recorded messages as well as the light control. I have 5 cams wired into a Nightowl system with a DVR and it has a pretty limited app. It functions for the most part . Without breaking the bank whats available to add to get me those features I like about the KUNA. I have Ethernet to my DVR.
Hi Pdaddy,

1) Security camera are not VoIP devices.

2) If you like to chit-chat with people you want to look at VoIP devices - which have added video. This is in effect what a lot of the consumer products are doing - at a significantly monthly subscription lock in price.

Thus, I would look for a good video intercom device for the areas you want to chit-chat, and good security cameras for other areas.

Since you already have a DVR setup - you may not need more there.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Below is a post of mine back on Feb. 26th of this year regarding problems with a client's Ring 2 video door bell. Sounds like your issue is similar.

From 2/26/18:
"I installed a Ring 2 for a client back in June. He had superfast Wi-Fi with plenty of signal strength but it did not matter: the Ring 2 uploaded to their server then back down so in order to view anything on the iPhone app you had to go through that process. Didn't matter if you were standing a foot from his fast, strong wireless router there was a 5-8 second delay, sometimes it would time out, jump frames, not detect, etc. Just not usable at all. Because of his rural location his AT&T DSL was 3.0M down and .5M up and Ring said they recommended a minimum of 4.0 M down AND (get this)...4.0M UP. Not gonna happen out here in the boonies. None of that is mentioned in the specs, info, etc. in any of the ads."

Fast forward to today, 6/26/18:
Below is a excerpt from KUNA 'Help':

"Checking Your Upload Speed

Your local Wi-Fi network should also have at least 2 Mbps upload and download speeds. This helps your smart security light maintain excellent picture quality in your live feed and your recordings. You can learn your upload speed by holding your phone next to your security light installation spot and running a speed test at speedtest.net on your mobile browser. You can also download their app for iPhone or Android."

Summary:
You have heard the negatives about cloud-based products when it comes to security, dependency or expense. Even if none of those faze you, there's still the issue that you must have no less than 2.0 MBps upload speed in order for it to function properly. And as we all know, meeting the minimum usually provides less than stellar performance. IMO, you won't get what you expect with less than 3.0 Mbps upload speed.

pdaddy68

n3wb
Reaction score
speed3.png Tony I have definitely ruled out the speed issue. It has to be on there end. I think I will give them a little more time to figure this out then I am moving on. I will look into the VOIP devices for my wife's needs to see and hear who is at the door ( though our dog usually is seeing and hearing and communicating with anyone by the door). If I solve the issue I will share. Thank you everyone for your reply's . I know I will be bringing up some issues with this Nightowl system, not the best and would love to some how utilize other software to view and control. (good catch Tony, I grabbed the wrong image)

Last edited: