Hello and newb question

Rejiggered

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all, longtime lurker, new member and first time poster. Sure am happy to have found this site and am appreciative of the willing knowledge share from all you experienced and smart folks.

I purchased my first camera from Empiretech Andy, which is waiting for me to open up at home. I’m still deciding on hardware, but will likely go the BI route unless I go the Linux or Mac. We are a thoroughly entrenched Apple household so we’ll see.

Anyway, my question is, assuming I setup the camera in BI, do/should I also log directly into the camera itself to turn on/off default settings? Does BI have access to these same settings and override the camera settings? Or are there settings that can only be set in the camera itself?

In other words, can I just use BI and never need to log into the camera directly. Hopefully that’s clear. Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, longtime lurker, new member and first time poster. Sure am happy to have found this site and am appreciative of the willing knowledge share from all you experienced and smart folks.

I purchased my first camera from Empiretech Andy, which is waiting for me to open up at home. I’m still deciding on hardware, but will likely go the BI route unless I go the Linux or Mac. We are a thoroughly entrenched Apple household so we’ll see.

Anyway, my question is, assuming I setup the camera in BI, do/should I also log directly into the camera itself to turn on/off default settings? Does BI have access to these same settings and override the camera settings? Or are there settings that can only be set in the camera itself?

In other words, can I just use BI and never need to log into the camera directly. Hopefully that’s clear. Thanks!
welcome @Rejiggered

btw - not much available as VMS software to run on a mac

Rejiggered

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes does look that way. Heard good things about SecuritySpy, which seems to be the only viable option and will try this weekend. Saw a great demo of NX Witness/DW Spectrum on the Linux side. Expensive, but I’ll have less than 5 cameras so could work. Support seems to be nonexistent from them though, since it’s installer focused.