Hello everyone - New member from London, UK

Gazza1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Looks like a great site!

First of all apologies as I am a bit of a novice and may ask some fairly basic questions!

I am in process of setting up a simple home smart cam system. I am starting off with a Samsung SNH-P6410BN. I was planning to use the Samsung app but it doesn't seem to be very good.

I therefore started looking at a few options online and was drawn to Blue Iris which keeps coming up in various recommendations.

I now need to work out how to set Blue Iris up using a home broadband router and a home laptop (2012 Toshiba Satellite with 4gb RAM and 1TB hard-drive) on Windows 8.

I have 2 questions:

1 - Once setup will I need to leave the home laptop turned on ALL the time?
2 - Are there any simple directions I could follow to get this system set up?

Thanks so much in advance.

Gazza

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. As @cyberwolf_uk said it is normally something you need running 24/7 if it's for home security and a desktop is a better option. There are a lot of threads about what pc's are best for the job. I love Blue Iris but it can use a bit of cpu power if you start adding cameras. If those cameras you are trying are wireless you may have unreliable service at times.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
welcome - nice to have another Brit here.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome! As stated above you definitely want a computer running 24/7 instead of a laptop. You can find cheap desktops on ebay. I buy off lease HP Compaq's with i5 processors all day on ebay for around $80-120.

Example: HP Compaq 8300 Elite SFF PC Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.20GHz 4GB Ram CD DVD RW. | eBay

Then throw in a western digital purple drive and your good to go! This PC will easily run 6 or so 4Mega pixel cameras without a problem.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First of all apologies as I am a bit of a novice and may ask some fairly basic questions!
No problem! +1 on what @drunkpenguin said. None of us here came out of the chute knowing all there is to know about everything...but if you should ask "How do I turn my computer on?", then you're in the wrong forum. :winktongue: