Hello Everyone

dean1dj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All I just signed up and thought I'd say hi.
I know a bit about computers and IP cameras but this whole ONVIF stuff has got me perplexed so if you come across my post, come and say high. Happy to hear from everyone.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum!
In simple terms - the ONVIF specification aims to create a common standard for surveillance devices, such that if a transmitter, such as an IP camera, and a receiver, such as an NVR, both conform to it, they will connect up OK.
Otherwise, you are pretty well stuck with having to use cameras and NVRs from the same manufacturer to have any hope of them working together, or using a product such as Blue Iris or QNAP/Synology Surveillance Station or IPcam Viewer IPcamPro etc that has implemented support for specific camera models.
I know a bit about computers and IP cameras
Impressive for your apparent age ...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
dean1dj,

Welcome to the forum! And I hope you're enjoying your summer!

Sticking with one vendor avoids problems, and you wouldn't need ONVIF.
Mix-n-match is a trickier way to go (unless using BI).
With Hik & Dahua offering so many models, the lack of choice isn't usually that big of a problem....

Fastb

dean1dj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum!
In simple terms - the ONVIF specification aims to create a common standard for surveillance devices, such that if a transmitter, such as an IP camera, and a receiver, such as an NVR, both conform to it, they will connect up OK.
Otherwise, you are pretty well stuck with having to use cameras and NVRs from the same manufacturer to have any hope of them working together, or using a product such as Blue Iris or QNAP/Synology Surveillance Station or IPcam Viewer IPcamPro etc that has implemented support for specific camera models.

Impressive for your apparent age ...
Yes I have always been pretty tech savvy. I have a question if you don't mind. I used to have two ip cameras. I port forwarded them and even had a dns host name set up and working to combat the fact that my internet provider only allows a dynamic ip address. All good until they finally gave up the ghost. Without thinking I bought two sricam SP017 cameras. Then I found it that they are onvif and can only use it with the app they give you. I changed the password but can't change the port as they don't give you the regular search tool to do that. Their pc software doesn't work either.
So given all if that,
1. Are these cameras safe to use seeing as you can't port forward them?
2. How do I get them to work with the dns or don't I have to as it it's p2p?
3. Should I just buy an nvr and run them through that and will that make them more secure?

Thanks in advance

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Without thinking I bought two sricam SP017 cameras.
If you do a quick forum search you'll find some pretty negative, not to say damning, comments about that series of cameras.
One of the main features is their deliberate attempts to lock you in to their own weedy garden, and break any attempted access by normally accepted de-facto methods.
Sorry.