Hello from Boise, Idaho!

Nixter

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I'm here after checking out various ipcams on sale through slickdeals and realizing I need to do my research.
I'm an IT guy (Cloud architect and system admin) and have never messed around with cameras.

I'm going to start out by grabbing some equipment to catch guys illegally dumping at a mobile home park (Looking at the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E for snagging license plates, still researching what else to get to see the overall action, possibly one dome camera near a street light and something Starlight in the darker area where the dumping happens)
After that I'll be adding cameras around our home and then our neighbors, and eventually doing it for businesses.

I enjoy tinkering, and know a lot of businesses who would like camera setups with license plate reading, so I'm going to try and get really good at setting those up for people and configuring it for best angle etc to capture plates.

Thank you all for the really awesome forums and wealth of information!
-Nick

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I'm here after checking out various ipcams on sale through slickdeals and realizing I need to do my research.
I'm an IT guy (Cloud architect and system admin) and have never messed around with cameras.

I'm going to start out by grabbing some equipment to catch guys illegally dumping at a mobile home park (Looking at the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E for snagging license plates, still researching what else to get to see the overall action, possibly one dome camera near a street light and something Starlight in the darker area where the dumping happens)
After that I'll be adding cameras around our home and then our neighbors, and eventually doing it for businesses.

I enjoy tinkering, and know a lot of businesses who would like camera setups with license plate reading, so I'm going to try and get really good at setting those up for people and configuring it for best angle etc to capture plates.

Thank you all for the really awesome forums and wealth of information!
-Nick
Welcome, start the journey here, from a real computer study this: Cliff Notes
and here: LPR | IP Cam Talk

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome - I just picked up a 5241E-Z12E as well. Love that cam. Works really well. Not doing any LPR on it yet though. Would love to hear how you make out with it.