Hello from California

Reaction score
Total noob to security cameras
I've been lurking and learning plenty
Thanks to all for the great information
I'm a long time computer guy, we owned a clone company back when it was profitable
But I'm amazed at what little I know about cameras and network security.
I've already been convinced to forget wireless , stay away from the cheap stuff, etc. Thanks to @fenderman and all for that.
And thanks to those prolific posters who have already given me a wealth of info. @nayr , etc

For my home leaning towards 5-7 dahua cams and ruining Blue Iris
With security in mind , just wondering if the following is worth implementing. My current router is an Asus ac66. I have a spare Asus Ac68. Would using my spare router with a separate subnet for only my cameras be advisable? Or what else would you suggest

Thanks
-Rick

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Total noob to security cameras
I've been lurking and learning plenty
Thanks to all for the great information
I'm a long time computer guy, we owned a clone company back when it was profitable
But I'm amazed at what little I know about cameras and network security.
I've already been convinced to forget wireless , stay away from the cheap stuff, etc. Thanks to @fenderman and all for that.
And thanks to those prolific posters who have already given me a wealth of info. @nayr , etc

For my home leaning towards 5-7 dahua cams and ruining Blue Iris
With security in mind , just wondering if the following is worth implementing. My current router is an Asus ac66. I have a spare Asus Ac68. Would using my spare router with a separate subnet for only my cameras be advisable? Or what else would you suggest

Thanks
-Rick
Welcome Ric,

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@mat200 thanks for the help
It is a bit overwhelming
I have a decent technology background and still fell overmatched

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@mat200 thanks for the help
It is a bit overwhelming
I have a decent technology background and still fell overmatched
Happy to help Rick, I think a lot of us felt that way at first.. thus why I started to take notes to get a better command of all of this. Still learning, however no longer does it feel like drinking through a fire hose ;-)