Hello from Colorado!

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, happy to have found these forums! Just about to setup my home security, and originally I thought I was going to use Ubiquti gear. After reading through some posts and the Wiki, I think that will be changing =) Looking forward to learning more and implementing a system I'm happy with.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
---------------
I love Colorado in the summer.

Cameras are for surveillance, not really for security. Cameras are for after the fact, What happened and who did it.

Read Study Plan before spending money
--------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (Store | IP Cam Talk) if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight
My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

imolafem

n3wb
Reaction score
Good caveat of surveillance vs security for cameras. Cameras of course aren't the only component of security =)

I've been in IT for decades, so your list above holds true for tech in general (don't use wifi, don't use hacked Chinese brands, don't use cloud storage, don't use insecure protocols, don't have ports open that shouldn't be, etc.).

I am bummed I didn't find this resource before I wired my home because there are a couple of locations I would have run a few more drops according to the guidance here. But, we'll see how it goes. If need be, I can have a few more cables run.

Why do you choose a 3MP camera for indoors rather than the 8MP cameras now available? Or even a 4MP?

I've read about choosing Starlight over 4K for outside at night. I have a lot of animals that live around here, so I do plan on capturing whatever is leaving gigantic wolf like footprints on my property.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The indoor cameras are just what I use. Most indoor cameras in my house cover between 10 and 20 ft, more MP are not going to make much difference. I have all public areas in my house covered, mostly to check on the dogs. There are not many reviews on the forum of indoor cameras.

Look around to forum, there are a number of good night video of animals, not sure what cameras and lighting they are using.