Hello from Italy!

Lorenz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone from Italy! I have been passionate about video surveillance and new technologies for a long time. I always try to learn new things and improve my knowledge. Self-taught ;)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

I lived in naples from 1958 to 1961, my father was in the us navy
-------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Lorenz

n3wb
Reaction score
:welcome:

I lived in naples from 1958 to 1961, my father was in the us navy
-------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
Thank you I will take this suggestion into consideration because at night the cameras that I currently have are not doing a great job.

2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
I've never used a vpn for remote access! I learned something today :)

3) Do not use wifi cameras.
Never used a wifi camera. Only and exclusively via cable.

4) Do not use cloud storage
Never used cloud storage, but it would be very convenient to be able to save videos not only on the NVR. so in case of theft I have a further copy of the data safe.

5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
Damn. I had to open the router ports to be able to connect remotely and view the cameras on my smartphone! How can I see them from the smartpghone if I don't open the incoming ports?

6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
I also noticed it over time, but the cameras with thousand thousand megapixels are always tempting XD is a trap for me. I love high definition.

7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
Unfortunately I bought most of the cameras on the stores you listed ... Simply because the market in Italy is truly absurd.
A camera that normally costs € 100 in Italy is sold for at least € 300 only recently, but the near ones have been slightly lowered but still prohibitive if you want to make a complete system ...

8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
I know;) always used only dahua products, I would like to start trying and also using hikvision products that many companies treat in Italy.

9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
In the past I have always used bullet cameras, the biggest mistake (where you have problems with spiders) is to use junction boxes instead of watertight metal boxes with gaskets.
Since I started using the sealed boxes of dahua zero spiders!

10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
Depends ... In my installation unfortunately I could not always use very high quality cables because it was added later with external raceways.
A cable in cat 6 takes up twice the space of a cat 5 having 12 cameras as you can imagine there is also a problem for the laying of cables so as not to impact too much on the aesthetics of the external façade of the house I had to reach some copromessi.
However, I have never had any problems or interference in my connections, it has always worked perfectly;)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Unfortunately the error is always around the corner ... Project and study a lot before proceeding but as soon as I have the material under hand there is always some surprise ...
Wow fantastic! Thank you very much for this list I will treasure it!

Last edited: