Hello from Nebraska - Need New Surveillance System

Reaction score
Well after having some thefts and other odd things happen in our town recently I am wanting to install surveillance cameras. Looks like there is some good information to look into on the first sticky (I will dive into that first). I just started looking into different systems and realize I have a lot to learn, but I also don't want to over complicate this.

Quick Facts about me and what I think I want in a surveillance system...
I am fairly tech savvy
Like to do things right the first time
Budget minded (Three kids and one on the way) Looking at $600 or less
Not afraid to run cables
Would like to be able to access cameras from my phone
Would like notifications if motion is detected on certain cameras
Night Vision is a must
Pet and Person recognition would be nice but not necessary

Looked at a few systems (reolink and lorex) which led me to this forum. Sounds like there may be better options.
Thanks for any help I can get.
Phil

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

If you want night vision go with Dahua starlight cameras.

If you use and NVR or BLUE IRIS, internet access to a phone can be done.

Stay away from cloud services. Do not use wifi cameras. True recognition on consumer products is not there yet, it is just advertising junk.

Reolink is pure over priced junk. Lorex is rebranded Dahua cameras with features removed, Lorex does not make any of there equipment they rebrand and market.

Again...............Read,study,plan before spending money

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money

If you want night vision go with Dahua starlight cameras.

If you use and NVR or BLUE IRIS, internet access to a phone can be done.

Stay away from cloud services. Do not use wifi cameras. True recognition on consumer products is not there yet, it is just advertising junk.

Reolink is pure over priced junk. Lorex is rebranded Dahua cameras with features removed, Lorex does not make any of there equipment they rebrand and market.

Again...............Read,study,plan before spending money
Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't found the wiki yet, but did find the other info.
Sounds like you are confirming a lot of the things I have been reading!
Thank You!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Philip Brandt

If you have an immediate need for a camera, you can pick up one of these which we really like and a cheap POE switch or POE power source and a microSD card and start to actually play with it.
( remember to get good quality cat5e/cat6 cable with 23-24 AWG copper wires )

It's a good camera and one worth keeping, and if you decide to pick up one of the Lorex NVR kits which is a Dahua OEM one you can get it to work with the NVR w/some configuration work ( IP, port, user/password ) - note, some Lorex NVRs we do not know the OEM of - so we're not certain of what additional cameras those would work well with.

Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal

Reaction score
Wow! I am a little overwhelmed! I think part of it is the fact that I just don't have a passion for this or the time to do the amount of reading I really need to do. I can sit and read forums about brewing beer, hunting, campers, certain electronics, and smoking food all day long. I think I bit off more than I can chew.

I have went through Cliff notes and wiki. Probably not as thoroughly as I should have but did go through it.

I do know that I still am wanting what I stated previously except probably 4 cameras to start but adding 4 more later after reading more about coverage..
Quick Facts about me and what I think I want in a surveillance system...
I am fairly tech savvy (with the right guidance)
Like to do things right the first time
Budget minded (Three kids and one on the way) Looking at $600 or less
Not afraid to run cables
Would like to be able to access cameras from my phone
Would like notifications if motion is detected on certain cameras
Night Vision is a must
Pet and Person recognition would be nice but not necessary

I guess I am asking if anyone can recommend a system that I can buy (plug and play) that fits my needs without breaking my budget or come at least close to my budget?

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a learning curve to any of it. Nothing is truly plug and play, if you want it done right.
The cliff notes are there so we don't have to answer the same questions over and over, multiple times per day.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Phil. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but it can be very interesting. You may do like many of us, starting off with a couple of cameras and going from there depending on how you like it.