Hello from NSW Australia

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well G'day,
I have been reading these forums at various times over the last few years waiting for the time I could get myself some / a decent camera. About 7-8 years ago (maybe longer my memory could be slipping), when Foscam stuff first hit the market with sub $100 cameras I got a few. Since then I have got a few more Foscam ones, and some other things that are unbranded from AliBaba, but might have been WansView NCH-536MW at their heart, at least the software I was using thought they were. At the time I bought 2 from the same seller and they both behaved differently, but they were less than $50 for 720p ip cams, and they made the 640x480 Foscams look like junk, and then some even from Kmart. I currently have 9 cams up around the place. Pretty much all junk, but fun to play with, and did work as you'd expect. Of the Foscams and other stuff I have had a few blow up due to a Lightning strike about 50M away, and some to just being turned off / on and letting the smoke out.
Now why I am registering as a user is that I recently bought a cam from
EmpireTecAndy EMPIRETECANDY
(Hope this is OK to do, and that it works)
I had no communication with him regarding the purchase, and didn't need too. I read all about him from here, and while I am hesitant buying anything online, all the good feedback here left me quite happy that all would be well, and it was.
Went to his AliExpress shop and bought it. It got shipped and only really got delayed when DHL passed it onto Australia Post. Where I live no couriers deliver. Important things I will get held at the depot in town and drive in and pick them up, otherwise they get given to the mail and delayed for about 48 hours etc.

The important thing here is that the Dahua SD49225T-HNI i got is absabloodalutlely amazing. (Thats an old Aussie word for when Crikey isn't good enough)

Unfortunately for me, the software I have been using for years is called H264 WebCam, from TimHillOne software. It has worked well and allows me to view cams via the net etc on phones, but it has died with a 1920x1080 camera and just can't do it. Probably due to size of memory buffers for the larger picture. So I've managed to get Blue Iris working in Eval mode now for all my weird cheapo cams and will probably go that way in future.
Not sure if I will ever post on here again, as I have been a bit addicted to posting on forums previously and try and stay away, but I just need to do this because I haven't seen any pics or videos of what these Dahua Starlights are like out in open country.
Hope the snapshots are OK.
20171103_210502-moon-coming-up-horizon.jpg

The headlight is about 1.5 to 2km away. The horizon is about 100KM away. When it was taken I cannot see the tree in the right of the snapshot. You can vaguely see 2 lights near gateposts near the middle, which are State Emergency Service markers showing our house numbers, these are about 800M away.

This one is zoomed to max about 20 minutes later, because it has taken me that long to write this and I needed another snapshot.
20171103_212537.jpg

Next is to the side along the hill where there are a few Rabbits having a feed. This is about 100-120M away but the moon has come out, so extra illumination from that, but I can't see as far as the rabbits are.

20171103_214249.jpg

Daytime pictures are also remarkably good, but the night shots just blow me away. This camera runs off 12VDC and will work off a simple solar panel system, tied into a long range wireless device like some MikroTiks I have here and I will, one day, set it up on the mountain behind me and watch the cattle, sheep, wild pigs, roos, koalas etc as they are drinking.
Nice camera, so much better than the other junk. Thanks Empire Tec Andy

Col.

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks,
Here is a snapshot from now, moon is nearly full. Bright shiny thing is a truck on a highway about 3.5KM away (its 5.1KM by road to there with a few corners-so I'm guessing 3-3.5 directly), other things are sheep.20171103_234140.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Daytime pictures are also remarkably good, but the night shots just blow me away. This camera runs off 12VDC and will work off a simple solar panel system, tied into a long range wireless device like some MikroTiks I have here and I will, one day, set it up on the mountain behind me and watch the cattle, sheep, wild pigs, roos, koalas etc as they are drinking.
Nice camera, so much better than the other junk. Thanks Empire Tec Andy

Col.
Welcome Coltect,

Thanks for the post, I would love to see a couple of daytime and color night time pictures if you can help out with that.

Coltect

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Some daytime pictures. It's a bit hazy today. These are one of no zoom, one of the same place / zoom level as last night, one of the gateway at full zoom, and one of the highway at full zoom. This is all with just fully auto settings for focus and everything.
Not sure if I can get colour night pictures. As we don't have that many street lights here, the camera goes to its default settings. I will have a play with it and see what settings I can find that may force colour at night without any light.

No Zoom.20171104_100219.jpg

Same place as night shots.
20171104_095738.jpg

Full zoom to the gateway. Starting to get heat mirage now.

20171104_095955.jpg

Full zoom to the highway

20171104_100417.jpg