Hello from NW Montana

mcrimm

n3wb
Reaction score
I installed a few IP cameras a few years ago. These are Amcrest that I picked up from Amazon. My wife and I spend the warm months in Montana and the cold months in a nice relaxing, warm climate. We monitor our home with these cameras, motion detectors via Smartthings and a Nest thermostat.

In a forum I follow, Blue Iris software was praised so I downloaded the demo 3 days ago......impressive. I ordered the full version today. The learning curve is very steep but YouTube and this forum, along with others, helps make anything doable. My PC is only an i5 so I’ll only be able to monitor 2 cameras.

Time will tell.

Mike

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the cliff notes in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Please provide you PC specs. Depending on the specs you should be able to support a number of cameras.

See the link below for different systems and the number of cameras they support. The number of cameras supported depends on frame rate (FPS) and the size of the frame.

Blue Iris Update Helper

mcrimm

n3wb
Reaction score
I built this machine in 2011 so it’s getting long in the tooth. Here’s my PC......
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz
8 Meg RAM
3 HDrives
Radeon HD 4830 Video.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you could do 6 cameras. I would upgrade the system and bi drive to SSD (about 128 GB) Remove all unnecessary software.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure a mSATA will work in that PC

There is no need for a 500gb SSD for a standalone BI PC. It is over kill.

mcrimm

n3wb
Reaction score
My MB supports an mSata but if I move on to a new pc next year, the SSD probably wouldn’t be compatible. I think a SATA3 Drive would be better, and compatible to a new MB. I have a big case and plenty of available drive bays. I have a vacant SATA 6 GB/S socket available.